Teacher - Science (14+ Academies ) (Part Time - 0.6FTE) (LUM324/1025)
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to join Leeds City College as a Teacher of Science in our outstanding 14+ Academies (14+ Apprenticeship Academy and 14+ P-TECH Academy). The 14+ Academies is an alternative environment for young people in Years 10 and 11 who require a different education environment to what is offered in a mainstream school. Learners leave their previous education establishment and join the 14+ Academies roll full time.
The 14+ Academies is a safe and inclusive environment that is accepting of everyone. The design and ethos of the 14+ Academies allows young people to flourish with smaller class sizes, a reduced curriculum, and focus on vocational based learning. The 14+ Academies provides opportunities to young people to maximise their potential, raise aspirations and embrace their individuality. Relationship building is at the heart of it’s ethos, and a high staff to student ratio allows learners to thrive and develop holistically.
We are seeking an dedicated, adaptable and committed individual to undertake this role and explore this incredible opportunity to contribute to the continued success of the 14+ Academies.
Please note, although the closing date for the vacancy is specified in the advert, should a suitable candidate for the role be found before this date, the advert may be closed. We therefore advise that if you are interested in applying for the role, to submit an application as soon as possible.
This is a part time role working 22.2 hours per week.
What You Will Do
The main duties of the role will include but not be limited to the following:
- Plan, prepare and develop schemes of work, lesson plans, teaching and learning resources, learning and assessment plans.
- Update, reflect and maintain the 14+ Academies tracking systems continuously, allowing you to recognise the need for interventions and subsequently putting them in place.
- Deliver inspiring sessions across the curriculum using a wide range of teaching methods for identified modules.
- Work within the 14+ Academies ethos and culture as well as using relevant tools and concepts such as the effort descriptors and APLs (Academy Progress Levels).
- Set targets with individual learners to assist in their academic or development progress, including at Personal Progress Days and the writing of parent/carer reports.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience and knowledge of supporting young people both academically and developmentally, including those aged 14-16.
- Recent teaching delivery in relevant subject areas (PGCE teaching placements/experience would also qualify here) which demonstrates outstanding practice.
- Experience of positively managing learner academic progress in an education setting, including those aged 14-16.
- Ability to work positively and effectively as a member of a team and on own initiative
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.