Student Relations Officer (LUM7248/860)
About the Role
This is an exciting and engaging role to enhance the experience of students in all college spaces. The role helps to ensure that we provide a safe and secure environment that supports and encourages positive behaviours, respect for everyone and professional standards towards learning. The focus will be on supporting students to feel welcome on site and to encourage and motivate them, particularly in the areas of attendance, punctuality and professional and polite behaviour.
What You Will Do
- Create a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment on campus for students and promote positive relationships and communications between all members of the college community.
- Model and promote positive behaviours and communications, restoratively challenging and supporting students to engage respectfully with each other, with staff and visitors to college.
- Motivate and engage students to fully participate in their courses and college life including great attendance and punctuality and engage students in campus activities which motivate and support their personal development.
- Ensuring compliance with College rules and policies, submitting incident reports as required to promote a positive professional Campus culture.
- Promote a culture of preventative safeguarding and positive wellbeing, responding to sensitive situations including safeguarding, welfare and other pastoral matters, providing information and signposting students to relevant support services
- Ensure staff and student safety and security is at the forefront at all times and appropriate action taken as and when incidents occur.
- Be an upstander and uphold the values of Leeds Sixth Form College promoting the student charter and be a safe contact for students to engage students in student voice, enrichment, social action and leadership opportunities.
- Experience of working with young people in an education or community setting.
- Able to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- Be organised and able to prioritise.
- Ability to engage and enthuse young people.
- Experience of coordinating Safety & Security.
- Experience of managing inappropriate and risky behaviour in a restorative non-confrontational manner.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
By joining Leeds Sixth Form College you join a community dedicated to improving the lives of young people through education. Whether you’re inspiring the next generation with your committed teaching or supporting the work of those who do, you know you will be making a positive impact every day.
Choosing to work for Leeds Sixth Form College means that you will be part of a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Leeds Sixth Form College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.