Head of Department - Adult, Community & ESOL (LUM377/846)
About the Role
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the Adult, Community & ESOL (ACE) department who were graded Outstanding by Ofsted in May 2022. In 2022-23 there were over 5000 students with a team of 200+, bringing education and life-changing experiences to our learners.
The team are based predominantly at the Enfield Centre, and with 16-19 (sixth form) groups in North Street, including smaller provision at Eastgate, Beeston, Deacon House and some outreach centres. We teach Mon-Thurs from 09:30-21:00 and Fridays from 09:30-15:00. Supporting one evening per week may be required.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team who are at the cutting edge of curriculum innovation but maintain a friendly and community identity.
What You Will Do
- Plan, develop and deliver a curriculum which effectively meets the needs of learners and employers.
- Deliver outstanding outcomes in terms of retention, achievement, success and progression
- Exceed targets for income diversity and volume, as well as for financial contribution
- Provide leadership in the enhancement of learning and teaching
- Provide day to day line management for staff and leadership to staff working within the Department/School across all centres.
- Level 5 teaching qualification. Heads of Department are also expected to commit to the Education and Training Foundation Professional Standards.
- Knowledge of Government policy in relation to education and training, including its funding and curriculum / qualification reform.
- Proven experience managing the curriculum, including planning, monitoring and reviewing.
- Experience of working positively with young people and adults
- Takes effective action to affect the behaviour and decisions of other people.
- Experience of successful administration and management of financial budgets.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.