Lead Science Technician (LUM336/542)
About the Role
Leading a busy team supporting Science practicals for GCSE and A level Sciences as well as level 2 and 3 BTEC Applied Science and Level 2 and 3 Access Science courses. You will work well independently and as part of a team to prepare resources for practical sessions as well as occasionally supporting in the laboratory.
What You Will Do
- Ensure all equipment prepared for lessons in accordance with Teacher specifications.
- Organisation, preparation, repair, cleaning, transport and collection of all Subject related equipment and materials. In conjunction with the appropriate teachers to advise, demonstrate and help students on the safe and proper use of tools and equipment and on the correct and safe way to carry out learning activities.
- To also advise and train staff, as necessary, on Health and Safety issues and on the best way to carry out practical work, new ways of demonstrating experiments, new techniques or procedures available.
- To assist and advise staff on the preparation and layout in the classrooms for practical exercises.
- Understand the Schemes of Work & syllabi of Science in order to prepare for practical lessons.
- Preparation of Stock Orders and ensure supplies, materials and equipment are correctly invoiced.
- You will have good communication skills, be able to effectively manage your time and be able to manage resources.
- You will have a science background and an understanding of health and safety regulations as well as an understanding of relevant policies and codes of practice.
- Ideally you will have previous experience of working in an educational environment and be able to effectively manage your time.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
By joining Leeds Sixth Form College you join a community dedicated to improving the lives of young people through education. Whether you’re inspiring the next generation with your committed teaching or supporting the work of those who do, you know you will be making a positive impact every day.
Choosing to work for Leeds Sixth Form College means that you will be part of a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Leeds Sixth Form College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.