Specialist Learning Support Assistant - Autism (LUM308/715)
About the Role
Leeds City College is the main education provider for post-16 students within the Leeds City region. This role allows the College to benefit from expertise around the SEND specialism of Autism Spectrum conditions. You will have a sound theoretical knowledge of Autism, and demonstrable knowledge of how to put that into practice when working with individuals. You will work with staff and students to ensure that your specialist knowledge of Autism is promoted within the college. The role will be based at one of the main campuses, but may involve working across other departments to share good practice and knowledge.
What You Will Do
- To lead in the specialist area of Autism, supporting other staff to increase their knowledge and understanding of this.
- To oversee the Oasis Room and respond positively to students who need to use the space
- To provide 1:1 and small group mentoring and support as required
- Support the SEND Team Leader with the timetabling of LSAs
- Support department management with the planning and delivery of training related to your area of specialism in autism.
- In conjunction with the SEND Team Leader, identify students who require your specialist support in autism and plan, deliver and evaluate student interventions in the area of autism.
- Support on transition arrangements for SEND learners.
- Undertake duties of a Learning Support Assistant as required.
- Experience of working with students who have High Needs / SEND particularly in the specialist area of Autism.
- Experience of implementing appropriate support strategies to assist students with Autism.
- Successful and proven experience of training and supporting staff whilst developing and maintaining professional relationships.
- Up to date knowledge and understanding of current safeguarding legislation in relation to SEND / High Needs learners.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.