Facilities Assistant (LUM520/732)
About the Role
The Directorate of Estates and Capital Projects comprises Health, Safety and Environment team, the Campus Facilities team, Property and Maintenance team and Capital Projects team.
Between them they service a large estate across the whole of the Luminate Group.
A significant restructure was undergone recently to enable future growth and address much needed change, the directorate is embarking on a growth programme to create a number of new campuses over the next five years which will address significant growth in student numbers across the region.
What You Will Do
- Engage with students to ensure they feel welcome and safe on sites and understand the standards of behaviour expected, intervening restoratively where necessary and ensuring students (as well as staff) are wearing their ID cards. Submit incident reports where required.
- Undertake security duties including general guarding, patrolling, access control, CCTV system monitoring as required (in line with policy and legislation only designated named staff will be expected to view CCTV and training will be given) to support the provision of a safe and secure environment and provide effective security of College buildings, contents and grounds.
- Liaise with and support on-site contractors and visitors to site ensuring compliance with the College rules and policies submitting incident reports as required.
- Undertake any minor building maintenance duties across the site such as fitting fixtures, cleaning/tidying internal or external areas, emptying litter bins, window cleaning (subject to appropriate training and access equipment), managing the waste segregation and recycling areas, grass-cutting, snow clearing/gritting and litter picking or landscaping activities (e.g.planting, weeding, fencing, paving) after appropriate training.
- Move furniture, equipment and, where appropriate, musical instruments for classes, events, exams, meetings and site moves to ensure that rooms are set up according to agreed set-up plans.
- Assist in the monitoring of teaching rooms to ensure users are abiding by terms and details of bookings including checking bookings and opening and closing rooms have been booked.
- Good interpersonal skills (i.e. being able to deal with people correctly, communicate effectively, be a team player and stay focused on what needs to be done).
- English and Maths GCSE or equivalent and a driving licence.
- Experience in a customer service environment.
- Experience with basic maintenance or DIY tasks, such as basic plumbing, basic joinery, decorating.
- Desirable: Having an SIA door supervision or CCTV monitoring licence.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Luminate Education Group is a collective of education providers based in Yorkshire with one clear purpose: to make a positive difference to people’s lives through genuinely transformative education and training.
We offer a wide range of job vacancies across our business support functions - Finance, Human Resources, ITSS, Marketing, Communications, Executive Support, Estates and Food Services. Our large size and diverse range of member organisations means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
As an education provider, we are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our workforce, and you’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC), University Centre Leeds, Leeds Sixth Form College and Yorkshire Centre for Training & Development.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.