Teacher - Carpentry & Joinery (LUM168/365)
About the Role
Interested in a career in teaching but still wanting to continue working in the industry? We have roles available, both full and part time, and variable hours to help you bridge the gap and take the step into teaching.
Keighley College are at the heart of our community and we pride ourselves in developing outstanding links with employers to meet changing economic needs, while nurturing high level skills and providing successful routes to apprenticeships and employment.
We are looking for a carpentry and joinery lecturer to join our Construction & Building Services Department. You will be part of a team that delivers teaching with the purpose of supporting students into their chosen career. You will be teaching across full, part time and apprenticeship courses from level 1 to level 3 in both practical workshop sessions, and classroom theory. The college has excellent teaching, learning and workshop facilities.
We are open to applicants who may be industry professionals looking for a change in career or are newly qualified teachers. Training and professional development will be offered to the right candidate.
What You Will Do
- Plan, prepare and develop schemes of work, session plans, teaching and learning resources, learning and assessment plans.
- Deliver and assess essential knowledge and understanding to learners.
- Motivate and inspire students to achieve targets and develop their skills to enable progression.
A key requirement is for you to want to make a difference, and inspire the next generation of tradespersons.
- Hold a minimum of NVQ 3 or specialist qualification in the curriculum area/specialist subject
- Have a Level 5 Teaching Qualification or a willingness to work towards
- Knowledge and experience within the curriculum's area of industry
- Ability to plan and deliver quality teaching
- Further training and qualifications will be offered.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Keighley College has excellent modern facilities and provides a professional and friendly environment. We pride ourselves on working closely with employers, the local community and other stakeholders to provide curriculum and support that meets the needs of our students. Our core purpose is to improve the life chances of our learners. We are passionate about helping our students to achieve their goals. We have state-of-the-art facilities in a central location, close to public transport links and great industry connections.
Choosing to work for Keighley College means that you will be part of an enterprising, inclusive, inspiring, collaborative, empowering, and dynamic environment. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Keighley College.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.