Teacher - Maths (LUM208/303)
About the Role
Foundation Studies is a discrete element of the curriculum offer within Luminate Group. The department provides bespoke learning for students who are identified as SEND and High Needs aged 16-25.
We take a student-centred approach to delivery so that students make the best possible progress towards EHCP outcomes, personal targets and the development of English and maths. We provide a welcoming and supportive environment in order to best support learners through their chosen pathways (Work Skills, Life Skills, Supported Internships) for their preparation into adulthood.
Foundation Studies offers English and maths at levels to suit all learners literacy and numeracy stages, this also includes the opportunity for the students to take Functional Skills or GCSE qualifications.
What You Will Do
- You will plan, prepare and develop schemes of learning, teaching and learning resources, learning and assessment plans including the development of online learning resources for identified modules
- You will maintain and update knowledge of the subject and/or vocational area.
- You will motivate and inspire students to achieve targets and develop their skills to enable progression.
- You will reflect on what works best in teaching and learning to meet the diverse needs of students.
- You will deliver inspiring sessions across the curriculum using a wide range of teaching methods for identified modules.
- You will assess student work, provide constructive and timely feedback to motivate and inspire the learner to improve and record learners’ progress for identified modules.
- You will Implement positive interventions where needed, for students undertaking identified modules.
- You will develop and strengthen relationships with learners and provide support to ensure successful outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have:
- You will hold a L5 Teaching Qualification (e.g. Cert Ed, PGCE)
- You will hold a relevant highest level vocational qualification or degree in teaching subject.
- You will have relevant up to date subject knowledge and recent delivery in the Further Education or school sector.
- You will have recent teaching delivery in relevant subject areas (PGCE teaching placements/experience would also qualify here) which demonstrates active learning and differentiated teaching styles.
- You will have knowledge of current teaching practices and experience of utilising a range of teaching practices to enhance learner journey and progression.
- You will have the ability to plan and deliver quality teaching across identified modules.
- You will be able to inspire and motivate learners to achieve their optimum.
- You will have exceptional verbal /written communication and interpersonal skills.
- You will be adaptable and flexible towards the requirements of different learner needs.
- You will have experience working with SEND and high needs learners
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.