HE Lecturer - Applied Theatre x2 (LUM417/272)
- Luminate Education Group
- Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Commencing at £27,829 with progression to £30,405
- 26 May 2023
- 11 Jun 2023
- Subject Area
- Performing Arts
- Job Level
- Job Function
- Academic Support
- Contract Type
- Part Time
About the Role
This role is to deliver Applied and Community Theatre modules to students on our BA(Hons) and FD Acting programmes. The Creative Arts team at University Centre Leeds deliver a wide range of degrees in the visual and performing arts to over 300 students. We deliver practical creative programmes to prepare students to enter the creative industries.
There is a strong focus on developing the learners practical and creative skills, and their enterprising and employability skills helping them to grow as people to support their journey towards employment in the creative industries. All staff are involved in devising the curriculum in response to academic regulations and industry needs, as well as delivering and assessing modules.
We work closely as a team with a strong emphasis on mutual support. All staff are dedicated to the continuing evolution of the curriculum and have active personal practices to keep themselves up to date on developments in the worlds of education and industry.
What You Will Do
WHAT YOU WILL DO
• Prepare creative and engaging teaching materials for classes.
• Deliver taught classes to student groups, with clear intentions and well-defined outcomes.
• Manage student progress and achievement through the modules you deliver.
• Evaluate students work and provide timely, constructive feedback.
• Take part in activities relating to recruitment of students (open evenings, interviews etc)
• Be an active member of staff teams, contributing to curriculum development, course reviews and University Centre activities.
• Participate in personal development, working to develop your own professional knowledge and skillset.
- Postgraduate qualification in Applied Theatre
- Industrial experience of working in Community Theatre
- We are looking for a creative, enthusiastic and forward thinking lecturer.
- The ideal candidate will work well as part of a team and be resilient, adaptable and enthusiastic with experience of the creative industries and education.
- You are student focussed, building a supportive and creative environment for students to develop their practical skills.
- We are looking for someone who has excellent communication skills and would be happy working with people as well as being able to work independently when required.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
At University Centre Leeds, we provide a supportive higher education environment designed to promote and enhance independent learning. We have access to industry standard equipment unique to many of our subject areas. These range from our makeup studios to practical science labs.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. Choosing to work for University Centre Leeds means that you will be part of an inclusive and progressive learning environment. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to University Centre Leeds.
We are proud to be the highest rated for student satisfaction in Leeds for the third year running (National Student Survey 2022).
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We recognise, value and champion diversity & Inclusion. As we engage with a diverse student population we want to ensure we reflect that in our staff population too. For us diversity is about building happy teams, full of people that want to learn and be inspired by each other, by our different experiences and backgrounds. It is important to us that both staff and students achieve their full potential. Diversity is important to us, but inclusion is equally, if not more important. It’s not just about having the representation but also providing the people we recruit with opportunities and valuing everyone’s contributions and perspectives.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.