Teacher, English (LUM283/143)
- Luminate Education Group
- Leeds, West Yorkshire
- £27,829 - £30,405 pa
- 27 Mar 2023
- 03 Apr 2023
- Subject Area
- English Language / Literature
- Job Level
- Job Function
- Academic Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time
About the Role
The 14-16 Skills Programme is a discrete element of the curriculum offer within Luminate Group. The Skills Programme was created in order to further support the existing Alternative Education within the Leeds City Council area and is informed by the Education Act (1996) which requires all local authorities to ensure pupils of school age receive an appropriate education and to identify those pupils who are not in receipt. The Skills Programme admissions policy and its principal purpose are aligned to Leeds City Council's Fair Access Protocol (2021) The Skills Programme has a unique curriculum offer, coupling core curriculum in areas such as sport, maths, science, PSHE and English to an elective range of vocational courses, all of which offer meaningful progression routes and qualifications. The aim of the Skills Programme is to improve the attainment, behaviour, attendance, self-esteem, confidence and self-regulation of its students. The Skills Programme will provide students with opportunities to participate through an alternative delivery model that emphasises practical application of concepts, individual and team learning and recognition of achievement. The curriculum delivery is underpinned by a behaviour strategy which builds resilience and self-esteem. This approach will enable the students to recognise the value of learning with positive activities, whilst continuing to stretch and challenge them. The successful candidate will have experience in teaching and supporting 14-16 year old students.
What You Will Do
- You will plan, prepare and develop schemes of work, teaching and learning resources, learning and assessment plans including the development of online learning resources for identified modules
- You will maintain and update knowledge of the subject and/or vocational area.
- You will motivate and inspire students to achieve targets and develop their skills to enable progression.
- You will reflect on what works best in teaching and learning to meet the diverse needs of students.
- You will deliver inspiring sessions across the curriculum using a wide range of teaching methods for identified modules.
- You will assess student work, provide constructive and timely feedback to motivate and inspire the learner to improve and record learners’ progress for identified modules.
- You will Implement positive interventions where needed, for students undertaking identified modules.
- You will develop and strengthen relationships with learners and provide support to ensure successful outcomes.
- You will hold a L5 Teaching Qualification (e.g. Cert Ed, PGCE)
- You will hold a relevant highest level vocational qualification or degree in teaching subject.
- You will have relevant up to date subject knowledge and recent delivery in the Further Education or school sector.
- You will have recent teaching delivery in relevant subject areas (PGCE teaching placements/experience would also qualify here) which demonstrates active learning and differentiated teaching styles.
- You will have knowledge of current teaching practices and experience of utilising a range of teaching practices to enhance learner journey and progression.
- You will have the ability to plan and deliver quality teaching across identified modules.
- You will be able to inspire and motivate learners to achieve their optimum.
- You will have exceptional verbal /written communication and interpersonal skills.
- You will be adaptable and flexible towards the requirements of different learner needs.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.