Learning Mentor x2 - 14+ Academies (LUM324/130)
- Luminate Education Group
- Leeds, West Yorkshire
- £16,848.39 per annum
- 24 Mar 2023
- 05 Apr 2023
- Subject Area
- Special Needs and Supported Learning
- Job Level
- Job Function
- Academic Support
- Contract Type
- Part Time
About the Role
Term Time Only (40 weeks)
This is an exciting opportunity to join Leeds City College as a Learning Mentor in our outstanding 14+ Academies (14+ Apprenticeship Academy and 14+ P-TECH Academy). The 14+ Academies is an alternative environment for young people in Years 10 and 11 who require a different education environment to what is offered in a mainstream school. Learners leave their previous education establishment and join the 14+ Academies roll full time.
The 14+ Academies is a safe and inclusive environment that is accepting of everyone. The design and ethos of the 14+ Academies allows young people to flourish with smaller class sizes, a reduced curriculum, and focus on vocational based learning. The 14+ Academies provides opportunities to young people to maximise their potential, raise aspirations and embrace their individuality. Relationship building is at the heart of it’s ethos, and a high staff to student ratio allows learners to thrive and develop holistically.
If you have any specific queries about the role, please contact Natasha Hanley on firstname.lastname@example.org’
What You Will Do
The role will include but not be limited to the following duties:
- Work closely with all staff, in supporting individual learners or groups of learners
- Give academic and development support and coaching to all learners in the 14+ Academies
- Support teaching staff where individual learner behaviour and performance within a group is impacting on the learning of the group as a whole
- Work hard to develop effective relationships with learners in a variety of ways including role modelling mutual respect and high aspirations.
- Motivate and inspire learners to always try their best and show respect.
- To deliver and be responsible for a 14+ Academies form group.
- Collaborate with staff to facilitate links with schools, parents and appropriate external agencies
- Contribute to individual learner target-setting and reviews and contribute to ongoing advice and guidance concerning progression routes pre and post-16.
We are seeking a dedicated, resilient and passionate individual to undertake this role and explore this incredible opportunity to contribute to the continued success of the 14+ Academies.
The ideal candidate will have experience and knowledge of supporting young people both academically and developmentally, including those aged 14-16. This will include experience int the following areas:
- Experience and knowledge in delivering and supporting young people on a 1-1 basis.
- Understanding of barriers to learning and ways to overcome them, including the ability to implement effective interventions.
- Ability to work positively and effectively as a member of a team and on own initiative.
There are plenty of benefits available to our staff members, here are just a few:
- Annual leave entitlement - If you work full time, you'll get at least 27 days holiday plus bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary closure days at Christmas (pro rata for part time staff).
- Support Staff 27 days (increasing to 32 days after 5 years service)
- Academic 37 days
- Senior Management 37 days
- Generous Pension schemes
- Teachers’ Pension Scheme
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Memberships and discounts - employees can sign up to various membership cards and discount schemes such as TOTUM card (formerly NUS card).
- Travel and commuting - discounted travel available through Metro card, Northern Rail, First Bus, Arriva Bus and Cycle to work schemes.
- Learning and development opportunities - including staff development days
- Employee wellbeing initiatives
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities - this will vary depending on role requirements
Leeds City College is one of the largest further education institutions in the country and is one of the biggest providers of apprenticeships regionally.
We provide a vibrant and diverse learning environment, delivering excellent and innovative education which is supportive, inspiring and life changing. Leeds City College’s values put students first and are at the heart of everything the college does.
We are committed to lifelong learning and investing in our staff. You’ll have access to a broad variety of training and professional development designed to help you continually develop and grow. We offer a wide range of job vacancies, and our large size means there are always exciting opportunities to progress.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our students including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks which include an enhanced DBS check, online checks and must have two satisfactory references. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.