Practical Instructor in Animal Management
We have a great opportunity based at our Shuttleworth campus for a Practical Instructor in Animal Management to become a key member of our Animal Sciences department.
As an Instructor, you will play a pivotal role in the success of our students through:
- Providing skill instruction and assessment to students in zoological centre and practical areas,
- Preparing and delivering practical learning materials to learners across a range of courses.
- Participating in the care of animals, to include farm, pet and exotic species (chelonian, snakes, reptiles, amphibians, invertebrates and exotic mammals),
- Monitoring health, behaviour and welfare of all animals and provide high standards of animal care and management.
- Overseeing all practical areas across the programme area with responsibility for Health and Safety,
- Providing technical support in the zoological centre and classroom areas.
Our ideal candidates will have experience of working with a range of animals including pet and exotic species and recent successful practical experience in animal care and management sector, alongside the following qualifications:
- Level 4 qualification in Animal Care or Animal Management
- English and Maths or similar at GCSE grade A-C or equivalent
- Willingness to work towards assessor trainer qualifications
Successful candidates must also be able to demonstrate alignment to our organisational values:
- Student centred - At our heart is always doing what is best for our students. We consider students in all of our decision making to create positive outcomes and memorable experiences for every student.
- Educational excellence - We promote educational excellence by delivering programmes that challenge our students to achieve their ambitions.
- Teamwork - We are one team who by working together can achieve great things, respecting the opinion and valuing the contribution each of us makes.
- Continuous improvement - We challenge ourselves to always do better by trying new things, sharing knowledge, reflecting on best practice and learning from others.
- Caring - We care about the wellbeing of our staff, our students, our community and wider society, creating an environment built on trust where we listen, engage and support each other.
- Inclusive - We celebrate differences and diversity, recognising that we can learn from each other.
Further details of the safeguarding requirements and essential criteria for the post can found within the Job Description.
The Bedford College Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to thorough vetting process which includes, an enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the Exceptions Order 1975, provides information about which convictions must be declared during job applications and related exceptions and further information about filtering offences can be found in the DBS filtering guide. The Bedford College Group's policy on Employment of Ex-Offenders is attached to this vacancy.
The Bedford College Group aims to deliver world-class skills and education to the communities we serve. The Bedford College Group is comprised of Bedford College, Shuttleworth College, The Bedford Sixth Form, Tresham College and the National College of Motorsport.
Contract Type – Bedford College Professional Services
- 37 hours per week (1.0 FTE) / 52 weeks per year
- 27 days per annum (plus public holidays), pro rata for part-time
- Peoples Pension
- Free on-site parking during weekdays and weekends (subject to availability)
- Retail and leisure discounts
Interviews will be held on on a date to be confirmed.
Attachments: Practical Instructor in Animal Care - JDPS (5).docx
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.
- The Bedford College Group
- £21,000 per annum
- Subject Area
- Agricultural, Horticulture and Animal Care
- Job Level
- Trainer / Assessor / Verifier
- Job Function
- Academic Support
- Contract Type
- Full Time