Area Lead - Creative Arts
Location: Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire
Contract: Permanent, full-time, 37 hours per week.
Start: As soon as possible, but fully negotiable
Starting Salary: up to c£53,000 (Including Management Allowance), depending upon the applicant’s skills and experience. A further pay award is also pending, subject to negotiation.
Relocation: A relocation allowance may be available where the employee’s new home is reasonably close to the workplace and their former home is not.
This is a vital appointment for our award-winning, Ofsted ‘Good’ College. Reporting to a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the role will be to lead the Creative Arts Area and its suite of successful and important subjects including Foundation Art, Fine Art, Textiles, Music, Drama, Photography, Graphics and 3D Design. These are all highly popular subjects with our students (more than 480 students study within the Creative Arts Area) – who achieve excellent results with extremely positive value-added scores
John Leggott College is a successful 16-19 Sixth Form College, located on a busy but pleasant site in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. The College is just ten minutes from the M180 which is fed directly from the M18 and then the M1 – you’d be able to commute here quite easily from most of the towns and conurbations in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, including Pontefract, Doncaster, Sheffield, Grimsby, Lincoln and Hull. The college was reconfirmed as ‘Good’ in May 2018.
Almost all of our learners (around 98%) progress to positive destinations after study programmes, with 62% going into Higher Education and 22% to the Russell Group in 2022 – sustained positive progression has been outstanding on DfE Performance Tables over the last few years. The Department for Education has affirmed we are also in ‘Outstanding’ financial health.
The main challenge in the role will be to build on best practice, ensuring consistency and leading continuous improvement in an Area already delivering outstanding results (ALPS scores in the Creative Arts Area currently range from ALPS 1 in CTEC Art and CTEC Photography through to ALPS 4 in Textiles, Music and Drama). The department is always vibrant and exciting, showcasing the students work across the variety of subject offered and it provides the unique opportunity for our students to stay on and complete a post level 3 art qualification. This is an experienced department with extremely talented, passionate and enthusiastic staff who will always go the 'extra mile' for the students and who are supported by a mix of experienced and newly recruited technicians. Our ideal leader will be adept at inspiring talented and high-achieving artistic and creative staff.
We have dedicated areas with outstanding facilities including a textiles area, darkrooms, workshops, Apple Mac suite, separate music rooms with recording and sound proof studios, a superb theatre as with 2 separate rehearsal spaces and many more. The students have access to spaces both for independent learning and support within the area.
The role will suit:
- Anyone with a proven track record of outstanding teaching practice in a Creative Arts subject – Fine Art, Textiles, Photography, Graphics, 3D Design etc.
- Someone who can inspire, coach and develop talented, creative and artistic colleagues to continually and incrementally improve results that are often already outstanding.
- A teacher who is already successful at leading a team; OR a really effective mainscale teacher who can show the ability to drive, motivate, support and lead the Creative Arts Area to deliver even more outstanding results
In return, we offer:
- An exciting post in a successful and award-winning College serving local communities
- The opportunity to shape and develop a very successful Area within the College that makes a real difference to the lives of young people and the artistic and cultural life of our town, county, region and the whole country
- The challenge and stimulation of working alongside dedicated educationalists, capable support service managers and wonderful students
For an application pack and to read more about the vacancy, please visit www.jlcarts.co.uk or telephone or text our advisers ASDTi on 07736 775776, or e-mail them at email@example.com
ASDTi are also available during the working day, in the evening or at weekends to answer any questions you have and to help you make your application. If you’d like a tour of our fantastic college, please contact ASDTi and they will try to arrange this.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 1st February 2023 at 9am.
Interviews will probably be held during the following week.
John Leggott College has a strong commitment to Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. Successful candidates will be subjected to enhanced checks by the Disclosure & Barring Service.
- John Leggott College
- up to c£53,000
- Subject Area
- Arts, Crafts and Design, Performing Arts
- Job Level
- Manager, Teacher
- Job Function
- Academic Support, Curriculum / Course Management
- Contract Type
- Full Time