Area Lead - Science
Location: Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire
Contract: Permanent, full-time, 37 hours per week.
Start: As soon as possible, but fully negotiable
Starting Salary: up to c£53,000 (Including Management Allowance), depending upon the applicant’s skills and experience. A further pay award is also pending, subject to negotiation.
Relocation: A relocation allowance may be available where the employee’s new home is reasonably close to the workplace and their former home is not.
This is a vital appointment for our award-winning, Ofsted ‘Good’ College. Reporting to a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the role will be to lead the Science Area and its suite of important STEM subjects including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Electronics and Engineering. These are all highly popular subjects with our students (more than 500 students study within the Science Area) - together they represent a significant part of our College, including many of our most gifted and talented students.
John Leggott College is a successful 16-19 Sixth Form College, located on a busy but pleasant site in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire. The College is just ten minutes from the M180 which is fed directly from the M18 and then the M1 – you’d be able to commute here quite easily from most of the towns and conurbations in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, including Pontefract, Doncaster, Sheffield, Grimsby, Lincoln and Hull. The college was reconfirmed as ‘Good’ in May 2018.
Almost all of our learners (around 98%) progress to positive destinations after study programmes, with 62% going into Higher Education and 22% to the Russell Group in 2022 – sustained positive progression has been outstanding on DfE Performance Tables over the last few years. The Department for Education has affirmed we are also in ‘Outstanding’ financial health.
The main challenge in the role will be to build on best practice, ensure consistency across subjects/teams and to improve the progress our students make (ALPS scores in the Science Area currently range from ALPS 5 in Physics through to ALPS 8 in Chemistry). We are looking for someone who can work with pace and have a continual and inspiring focus on improving student outcomes. We need someone who maintains team spirit and realises the very best from all their colleagues and staff. Our ideal leader will reward excellence, recognise where change is needed, and move forward with those changes, in a supportive, but determined and planned manner.
The role will suit:
- Anyone with a proven track record of outstanding teaching practice in a Science subject (or in Engineering or Electronics)
- Someone who can consistently deliver high value-added results and inspire, coach and develop colleagues to do the same
- A teacher who is already successful at leading a team; OR a really effective mainscale teacher who can show the ability to drive, motivate, support and lead the Science Area to deliver outstanding results
In return, we offer:
- An exciting post in a successful and award-winning College serving local communities.
- The opportunity to shape and develop a large Area within the College that makes a real difference to the lives of young people and the country as a whole.
- The challenge and stimulation of working alongside dedicated educationalists, capable support service managers and wonderful students
ASDTi are also available during the working day, in the evening or at weekends to answer any questions you have and to help you make your application. If you’d like a tour of our fantastic college, please contact ASDTi and they will try to arrange this.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 1st February 2023 at 9am.
Interviews will probably be held during the following week.
John Leggott College has a strong commitment to Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people. Successful candidates will be subjected to enhanced checks by the Disclosure & Barring Service.