Lecturer in Games Development
We have an amazing opportunity in our Games Development Team to teach our highly creative students. As well as qualified teachers, this role would suit a new graduate of Games Development, Games Art, Games Design or Software Development, or someone who is working in industry and perhaps looking to give back and change direction - we would give you all the support and professional development to enable you to excel.
The Team and our Students
We are unique in our approach to Games Development. Our programmes are project driven and our students don’t just play games, they make games and realise full rather than partial products. They explore all specialisms rather than a specific one.
Our students are highly creative and keen to learn. They come from different starting points and have different aspirations. They are highly motivated and challenge us every day, which keeps us on our toes!
Operating in a pseudo work-based environment with superb facilities, our Team is run like a games development company - with programmers, artists, designers and producers, with a huge amount of industry knowledge. Our staff are passionate about what they do and highly supportive of each other.
As a Lecturer in Games Development with us, you will teach across a range of provision and have ownership of your own programme, but lots of support. You’ll work with our Curriculum Managers to further develop our Games Development courses. Our Games provision has recently relocated to our exciting, open plan studio, offering a professional design environment for both our students and staff.
Although you will primarily focus on the coordination and teaching of your programme, you’ll also have a secondary focus on fostering external links with employers and the Games industry to make sure that what we do is absolutely current and cutting edge. We have a commitment to bringing an exciting and innovative curriculum into our studio.
Your role will be vital in delivering the training and assessment of vocational skills, ensuring that our students enjoy an exceptional learning experience, with employability and professional practice at its core. It’s a fantastic opportunity with a brilliant team and, if you’re interested, we want to hear from you.
You might be a new graduate or currently working in the games industry. Or, you may already have recent teaching experience. Either way, if you want to bring your expertise into our classrooms, we want to hear from you.
You will hold a degree in Games / Media Design, as well as GCSE A* - C / 9 - 4 in Maths and English or equivalent.
We are also looking for the following:
- Confidence working with industry standard software including project management software, the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and Unity.
- An understanding of the different specialisms used within Game Development and how they are utilised collaboratively to produce product.
- A creative or technical portfolio of work demonstrating practical experience in generating Games and/or Interactive Media related content.
- An understanding of the current and historic developments within the Games industry is beneficial, along with knowledge of roles and careers in the creative sector.
- A working knowledge of C# programming (or willingness to upskill in this area) would be a distinct advantage.
- Additional knowledge or experience in software development would be of benefit, but not essential.
If you are interested in joining us, contact email@example.com for an initial conversation.
Closing Date: Monday 2 January 2023
Please be aware that this vacancy may close earlier dependent on the level of applications received so if you do wish to be considered we recommend that you complete the application as promptly as possible.
Not yet qualified but interested in getting into teaching?
We support all our new Lecturers through our teacher development programme “The Programme of Excellence”. Our teacher development programme is designed and delivered in a way that will ensure you obtain all the skills that are needed to become a teacher. In addition to providing theoretical and best practice knowledge, you will be assigned a mentor from our high-performance teaching team to support you through your early career with us.
If you have not previously worked within the Education sector but have considered a career move, you may be suitable for the Department of Education - Taking Teaching Further initiative, which employs industry specialists direct into Further Education. You will receive an enhanced support package whilst you gain a Teaching Qualification. This opportunity can be discussed at the interview stage.
See what we have to offer and come and join us. You won’t be disappointed.
Working for the Heart of Yorkshire Education Group
We are an ambitious and dynamic further education group, based in Yorkshire, with Colleges in Castleford, Selby and Wakefield – this role will be based in Wakefield. We are highly inclusive and are passionate about our learners – they are at the heart of everything we do.
Our People Strategy is focused on building a fantastic, caring culture and ensuring the wellbeing of our staff.
Our Group is committed to safeguarding the welfare of all students and this post will be subject to Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS.
We aim to develop a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve and positively encourage applications from all.
As a new colleague, you will also receive -
- Generous Annual Leave (37 days annual leave + bank holidays + 5 College closure days)
- Great pension scheme
- Personal and professional development opportunities, including teacher development programme
- Access to employee assistance programme, with lots of initiatives to support mental health and wellbeing
- Access to a wide range of high street discounts (retail, supermarkets, and restaurants)
- Annual Staff Recognition Awards
- Sociable, feel good days and celebration events
For further details, please refer to the job description