Learning Support Assistant x 3 (Variable Hours) (LCC3597)
** This is a Variable Hours Contract **
What We Do:
The SEND Team, at Leeds City College, provide a service for students across the college. The SEND team is committed to helping people with learning difficulties/disabilities to overcome the barriers within learning, identify strategies that will help them in adulthood, build on personal and social skills and be fully integrated into the college community. Support is assessed on an individual basis and will vary depending on the young persons SEND needs/Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Variety of support can offered depending on student needs, some examples are: Small group work Assistive technology (including hearing loops, radio aids, and magnifiers) Exam access arrangements Independent time out of class Peer mentoring Read and write software (including overlays, coloured paper, and roaming profiles) Dictaphones and video recording equipment Aids and adaptations (including adjustable tables and chairs) We are looking for a very highly motivated, independent, supportive and understanding individual who is willing to learn and co-operate to meet the needs of the students.
What You Will Do:
- To be involved in planning and preparation and assessment of learning as part of the curriculum team.
- Providing in and out of class support to meet identified need of students who have high needs.
- Providing curriculum teachers/assessors and SEND team members with verbal and written reports on students who have high needs or SEND and feedback against strategies used and progress towards outcomes on the EHCP.
- Assisting with emergency evacuation plans and practices, and helping with all emergency evacuations.
- Assist with personal care and medical requirements as necessary.
- Support students whom are less mobile and may use wheelchairs.
- Attend annual reviews as requested and attend student meetings as required to update on progress and behaviours.
- Any other duties as determined by the line manager
- May be involved in learners’ transport arrangements and helping students who have high needs to develop independent travel skills where needed.
- At the direction of the teacher/assessor, accompanying small groups of learners on local excursions related to programme of learning.
- Educated to Level 2 in Literacy and Numeracy
- Minimum L2 Award for Learning Support
- Practitioners Qualification
- Experience of working within a team who support students who have high needs or SEND
- Knowledge of SEND legislation
- Clear oral, written and IT communication skills
- To be able to use college systems including Google Drive and Microsoft Office
- Able to assist with personal care/Medical provisions including requirements of wheelchair users
- A clear commitment to the College's policies and procedures including safeguarding and PREVENT agenda
- An understanding of GDPR and how that impacts on this role
Nicole Lowes - email@example.com
Aisling McGibbon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC), University Centre Leeds, Leeds Sixth Form College and Yorkshire Centre for Training & Development. Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest growing and most innovative education groups in the country.
We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions. Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding and welfare of all our student's including children, young people, and vulnerable adults. We expect all our staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We follow the Safer Recruitment requirements and best practice as set out within Keeping Children Safe in Education statutory guidance. All successful applicants will be required to complete mandatory pre-employment checks including an enhanced DBS check. Please be aware that it is a criminal offence to apply for this post if you are barred from engaging in regulated activity in connection to children.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.