Academic Programme Officer
Established in 1597, Gresham College is a charity which provides high-quality free education to the public in a broad range of subjects. The College aims to stimulate a love of learning and intellectual curiosity and to champion academic rigour, professional expertise and freedom of expression.
Gresham College has been providing free lectures within the City of London for over 400 years. The lectures are now live-streamed and available on YouTube or our website www.gresham.ac.uk
The College is now in year 3 of an exciting 5-year plan which has the primary aim of increasing and broadening the audience which the College reaches. Working at Gresham College is hugely rewarding in terms of the breadth and range of subjects covered and the knowledge and intellectual reputations of our speakers, as well as the opportunities for input into our academic programme.
To provide support for Gresham College academic activities, including coordination the academic programme, and programme analysis and development
The Academic Programme of Lectures
- To act as chief lead on the administration of the current year’s academic programme, including close liaison with the Office and Events Administrator on the practical organisation of lectures
- To coordinate the planning arrangements for the academic programme for the following year, including monitoring of proposals and communication with applicants, issuing letters of agreements, and scheduling of lectures
- Responsibility for maintenance of the lectures database
- Liaison with the Communications department over the production of the printed programme, including key role in coordination of confirmation of material for the printed programme
- To conduct research for the Academic Programme Manager on programme development, including work on audience engagement, identification of possible new speakers, and investigation of competitors’ methods and delivery
- To engage in analysis (including statistical analysis) of the academic programme for annual reports and reviews, and to assist the Academic Programme Manager in producing these reviews
- To work with existing and new partners on annual lecture events and sponsored professorships
- To attend Academic Board meetings as an observer, and to act as Secretary in the Academic Programme Manager’s absence
- To coordinate professorial induction arrangements
- To act as assistant to the Provost and to the Academic Programme Manager drafting letters and responses and acting as first point of contact in the absence of either
- Assisting the Academic Programme Manager in the collation of committee meeting agendas and papers
- In a HR role, to organise advertising, recruitment and interview processes for new academic posts in conjunction with the Academic Programme Manager
- To coordinate annual updates to the Gresham Professors’ Handbook
- To liaise with the Office and Events Administrator on arrangements for specific academic events such as The Annual Gresham Lecture and Council dinners
- To work late evenings as required (for which time off in lieu is allowable)
- To undertake such other duties as may from time to time be required
Equal Opportunities Gresham College encourages applications from those of diverse backgrounds. The College is committed to fairness, consistency and transparency in selection decisions. Panel members are aware of the principles of equality of opportunity and fair selection.
Application Process All applications will be managed in accordance with the College’s recruitment policy; the process is outlined below.
Formal applications must consist of a Curriculum Vitae accompanied by a statement in the form of a letter explaining your suitability for the role as against the information and criteria specified in the Job Description and Person Specification.
Candidates will be formally assessed as against the criteria for appointment as outlined in this document. The selection and interview process will be managed a panel comprised of employees and/or other persons. The final appointment will be made subject to satisfactory references, and any other necessary document checks (e.g. right to work in the UK).
Applications should be sent to Mrs Lucy Petrie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications may also be sent by post to:
Barnard’s Inn Hall
London EC1N 2HH.
The closing date for the position of Academic Programme Officer at Gresham College is 9.00 am Monday 3 October 2022, but will close earlier if the position is filled.
Please apply via the link.