English Teacher (LCC3425)
What We Do:
The 14-16 Skills Development Programme is a discrete element of the curriculum offer within Luminate Group. The Skills Development Programme was created in order to further support the existing Alternative Education within the Leeds City Council area and is informed by the Education Act (1996) which requires all local authorities to ensure pupils of school age receive an appropriate education and to identify those pupils who are not in receipt. The Skills Development Programme admissions policy and its principal purpose are aligned to Leeds City Council's Fair Access Protocol (2021) The Skills Development Programme has a unique curriculum offer, coupling core curriculum in areas such as sport, maths, science, PSHE and English to an elective range of vocational courses, all of which offer meaningful progression routes and qualifications. The aim of the Skills Development Programme is to improve the attainment, behaviour, attendance, self-esteem, confidence and self-regulation of its students. The Skills Development Programme will provide students with opportunities to participate through an alternative delivery model that emphasises practical application of concepts, individual and team learning and recognition of achievement. The curriculum delivery is underpinned by a behaviour strategy which builds resilience and self-esteem. This approach will enable the students to recognise the value of learning with positive activities, whilst continuing to stretch and challenge them. The successful candidate will have experience in teaching and supporting 14-16 year old students.
What You Will Do:
- You will plan, prepare and develop schemes of work, teaching and learning resources, learning and assessment plans including the development of online learning resources for identified modules
- You will deliver and assess essential knowledge and understanding to learners. You will create individual SMART learning targets linked to learner study programme/course.
- You will be responsible for recording student progress.
- You will maintain and update knowledge of the subject and/or vocational area. You will maintain and update knowledge of educational research to develop evidence-based practice.
- You will motivate and inspire students to achieve targets and develop their skills to enable progression.
- You will reflect on what works best in teaching and learning to meet the diverse needs of students.
- You will adapt curriculum delivery methods to maximise effectiveness, including the use of technology.
- You will carry out internal verification/moderation.
- You will deliver inspiring sessions across the curriculum using a wide range of teaching methods for identified modules.
- You will develop and employ effective assessment activities for identified modules.
- You will assess student work, provide constructive and timely feedback to motivate and inspire the learner to improve and record learners’ progress for identified modules.
- You will create SMART targets, record and monitor progress against them.
- You will Implement positive interventions where needed, for students undertaking identified modules.
- You will consider and employ the most effective delivery methods, including blended learning and technology-enhanced learning.
- You will Implement evidence-based strategies to ensure high levels of retention, achievement, success and attendance for identified cohorts.
- You will develop and strengthen relationships with learners and provide support to ensure successful outcomes.
- You will contribute to the marketing of courses, learner IAG and enrolment processes.
- You will participate in student recruitment activities, including interviews and open evenings.
- You will maintain and actively engage in quality and professional standards.
- You will participate, as appropriate, in the College’s examination process.
- You will ensure that effective Induction programmes are delivered for learners.
- You will hold a L5 Teaching Qualification (e.g. Cert Ed, PGCE)
- You will hold a relevant highest level vocational qualification or degree in teaching subject.
- You will have English and Maths at Level 2 or above and a willingness to improve in one or both disciplines to level 3 or above.
- You will have relevant up to date subject knowledge and recent delivery in the Further Education or school sector.
- You will have recent teaching delivery in relevant subject areas (PGCE teaching placements/experience would also qualify here) which demonstratesactive learning and differentiated teaching styles.
- You will have experience of positively managing student progression, advice and guidance in a Further Education setting.
- You will have experience of setting appropriate SMART targets to ensure progression of students.
- You will have knowledge of current teaching practices and experience of utilising a range of teaching practices to enhance learner journey and progression.
- You will have experience of being part of internal verification and moderation activities.
- You will have the ability to plan and deliver quality teaching across identified modules.
- You will be able to inspire and motivate learners to achieve their optimum.
- You will have exceptional verbal /written communication and interpersonal skills.
- You will be adaptable and flexible towards the requirements of different learner needs.
- You will be IT literate including knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and databases i.e. Microsoft Word, Access and Excel and Google platform
- You will have the ability to provide productive insight into the review process and development of identified courses.
Vacancy Contact: Emma Briggs - Emma.Briggs@leedscitycollege.ac.uk
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC), University Centre Leeds, Leeds Sixth Form College, White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT) and Yorkshire Centre for Training & Development. Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest and most innovative education groups in the country.
We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions.
Our focus is to ensure every group member, and the group as a whole, is successful. In order to achieve this, the group members proactively look for ways to support and inspire each other, to strengthen central services and be a guiding light for all our staff and students.
Join us on the journey to being the best that we can collectively be for our students, apprentices, staff and our stakeholders.
At Luminate Education Group we are committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants will be required to complete all the mandatory pre-employment checks, which includes:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work; this is conducted by our Occupational Health Provider
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website.
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.