Learning Support Assistant, SEND (Reduced Year) (Ref: HC065)
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
Part Time hours considered
Reduced Year 39 weeks per year
WHAT WE DO
We are a friendly, busy SEND Department at Harrogate College, supporting our High Needs students in and out of class, offering mentoring, facilitating assessments for exam access arrangements and providing advice on learning difficulties and support for our curriculum colleagues. We're looking for staff to join our team who share our ambition to see our learners with Special Needs succeed and achieve as well as their peers.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- To be involved in planning and preparation and assessment of learning as part of the curriculum team
- Providing in and out of class support to meet identified need of students who have high needs
- Providing curriculum teachers/assessors and SEND team members with verbal and written reports on students who have high needs or SEND and feedback against strategies used and progress towards outcomes on the EHCP
- Assisting with emergency evacuation plans and practices, and helping with all emergency evacuations
- Attend annual reviews as requested and attend student meetings as required to update on progress and behaviours
- Any other duties as determined by the line manager
- May be involved in learners’ transport arrangements and helping students who have high needs to develop independent travel skills where needed
- At the direction of the teacher/assessor, accompanying small groups of learners on local excursions related to programme of learning
- Assist with personal care and medical requirements as necessary. Support students whom are less mobile and may use wheelchairs
- Educated to Level 2 in Literacy and Numeracy or a commitment to achieving this within one year of appointment Ideally possess a qualification relevant to the post such as L2 Awards for Learning Support Practitioners (or willingness to enrol to this)
- Experience of working within a team who support students who have high needs or SEND to support their learning through identifying strategies and preparing young people for adulthood
- Able to assist with personal care/Medical provisions including requirements of wheelchair users
- Able to work effectively as a team member and being able to adapt and embrace change Commitment to the College’s support and promotion of Equality and Diversity Understanding of safeguarding and PREVENT
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT HARROGATE COLLEGE
Harrogate Colleges offers a broad curriculum where we encourage our students to grow as individuals, dare to dream and have a great time. To achieve that, our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions. Harrogate College is part of the Luminate Education Group, and one of the UK’s largest FE establishments.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Harrogate College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
You can read about these benefits, and others in more detail by downloading the Staff Benefits document attached to this vacancy.
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Please use the person specification (on the job description under "Documents Available") to complete your supporting statement.
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.