Learning Support Assistant, (Part time), (Reduced Year) (LCC3169)
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
Part time hours, 18 per week
Reduced Year, 39 Weeks PA
WHAT WE DO
The SEND Team, at Leeds City College, provide a service for students across the college. The SEND team is committed to helping people with learning difficulties/disabilities to overcome the barriers within learning, identify strategies that will help them in adulthood, build on personal and social skills and be fully integrated into the college community. Support is assessed on an individual basis and will vary depending on the young persons SEND needs/Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Variety of support can offered depending on student needs, some examples are: Small group work Assistive technology (including hearing loops, radio aids, and magnifiers) Exam access arrangements Independent time out of class Peer mentoring Read and write software (including overlays, coloured paper, and roaming profiles) Dictaphones and video recording equipment Aids and adaptations (including adjustable tables and chairs) We are looking for a very highly motivated, independent, supportive and understanding individual who is willing to learn and co-operate to meet the needs of the students.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- You will be involved in planning and preparation and assessment of learning as part of the curriculum team.
- You will provide in and out of class support to meet identified need of students who have high needs.
- You will provide curriculum teachers/assessors and SEND team members with verbal and written reports on students who have high needs or SEND and feedback against strategies used and progress towards outcomes on the EHCP.
- You will assist with emergency evacuation plans and practices, and helping with all emergency evacuations.
- You will assist with personal care and medical requirements as necessary.
- You will support students whom are less mobile and may use wheelchairs.
- You will attend annual reviews as requested and attend student meetings as required to update on progress and behaviours.
- Any other duties as determined by the line manager
- You may be involved in learners’ transport arrangements and helping students who have high needs to develop independent travel skills where needed.
- At the direction of the teacher/assessor, accompanying small groups of learners on local excursions related to programme of learning
- Educated to Level 2 in Literacy and Numeracy Minimum L2 Award for Learning Support Practitioners Qualification Experience of working within a team who support students who have high needs or SEND Knowledge of SEND legislation.
- Clear oral, written and IT communication skills.
- To be able to use college systems including Google Drive and Microsoft Office.
- Able to assist with personal care/Medical provisions including requirements of wheelchair users
- A clear commitment to the College's policies and procedures including safeguarding and PREVENT agenda.
- An understanding of GDPR and how that impacts on this role.
- Experience of working with students with SEMH needs is desirable.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT LEEDS CITY COLLEGE
Leeds City College is part of the Luminate Education Group, and is one of the UK’s largest FE establishments with around 1,440 employees and over 22,560 students. We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Leeds City College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.