Teaching Assistant (Variable hours), Reduced Year (Ref: LCC2660)
** COVID-19 INFORMATION: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic you may experience some delays during the recruitment process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. **
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
Variable hours, up to 37 per week
Reduced Year, 40 Weeks per year
Please note that interviews will be held w/c 10th January 2022
WHAT WE DO
Leeds City College is one of the UK’s largest FE establishments with around 1400 employees and over 22,370 students. Offering a diverse curriculum within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment, our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions. We have a vacancy with the SEND team for a Teaching Assistant to support learners aged 19+ within the Department of Adult and Community. This role requires someone who is able to confidently provide support in mostly English and Mathematic (up to Level 2) curriculum areas and is able to form good partnerships with the teachers that they work alongside.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- You will be working mostly with adult students at various stages in their education working towards a wide range of qualifications.
- You will be supporting the teaching and learning within the classroom and via online resources which are being utilised by the college to aid remote learning.
- The role includes assisting with preparation of learning materials and the learning environment as well as supporting with our application and interview processes.
- You will be part of a supportive team and will develop your skills so that you are able to identify and assess barriers to students learning and recommend ways in which these can be overcome.
- To develop an understanding of the specific needs of the students to be supported taking into account the type of support involved.
- To work within an agreed system of supervision and within a pre-determined lesson framework, teach whole classes.
- To observe individuals and groups of students’ personal, social and learning achievements.
- To maintain appropriate records, monitor progression and attainment and provides reports and information to inform and support the assessment process.
- To organise and undertake activities with either individuals or small groups of students to facilitate their emotional and educational development to enable their full potential to be reached.
- To monitor students conduct and behaviour throughout the learning process and intervene to resolve routine issues using appropriate techniques and skills to de-escalate potential difficult situations or resolve simple conflict with individual and groups to establish and maintain a safe and calm atmosphere conducive to learning and ensure the safety and wellbeing of students, staff and visitors.
- To assist students where appropriate in the proper use of learning aides and equipment and to ensure that they are available, including assisting students develop skills required for remote learning.
- To liaise with the class teacher, and /or any external support teacher about individual learning plans (ILPs), ProMonitor records and student progress.
- To carry out routine administrative tasks i.e. photocopying, basic record keeping, and good IT skills.
- To assist with the development of appropriate resources to support learning.
- To assist in identified areas, e.g. language, behaviour, reading, spelling, numeracy, handwriting/presentation, and the use of ICT.
- To provide regular feedback about students to the teacher and other colleagues suggesting alternative methods of differentiation that respond to identified needs.
- To prepare and clear up classroom materials and learning areas ensuring that they are available for use.
- To assist in the presentation of displays to enhance the learning experience and celebrate the achievements of students.
- To carry out assessments of learners needs and complete relevant documentation including tracking through ProMonitor to ensure that support can be claimed through the ALS budget.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT LEEDS CITY COLLEGE
Leeds City College is part of the Luminate Education Group, and is one of the UK’s largest FE establishments with around 1,440 employees and over 22,560 students. We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Leeds City College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
You can read about these benefits, and others in more detail by downloading the Staff Benefits document attached to this vacancy.
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Please use the person specification (on the job description under "Documents Available") to complete your supporting statement.
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.