Facilities Assistant x 10 FTE (DC065)
** COVID-19 INFORMATION: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic you may experience some delays during the recruitment process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. **
'Previous applicants need not reapply'
WHAT WE DO
The Directorate of Estates and Capital Projects comprises Health, Safety and Environment team, the Campus Facilities team, Property and Maintenance team and Capital Projects team. Between them they service the estate across the whole of the Luminate Group; As well as undergoing a significant restructure to enable future growth and address much needed change, the directorate is embarking in a growth programme to create a number of new campuses over the next five years which will address a significant growth in student numbers. Within this, the role of Campus Facilities is to support staff students contractors and visitors by creating a safe, clean and welcoming site engaging with all users positively
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work as part of a team to provide Estates support services to create a safe, clean and welcoming site for students, staff and visitors.
- Engage with students to ensure they feel welcome and safe on sites and understand the standards of behaviour expected, intervening restoratively where necessary and ensuring students (as well as staff) are wearing their ID cards. Submit incident reports where required.
- Undertake security duties including general guarding, patrolling, access control, CCTV system monitoring as required (in line with policy and legislation only designated named staff will be expected to view CCTV and training will be given) to support the provision of a safe and secure environment and provide effective security of College buildings, contents and grounds.
- Liaise with and support on-site contractors and visitors to site ensuring compliance with the College rules and policies submitting incident reports as required.
- Undertake any minor building maintenance duties across the site such as fitting fixtures, cleaning/tidying internal or external areas, emptying litter bins, window cleaning (subject to appropriate training and access equipment), managing the waste segregation and recycling areas, grass cutting, snow clearing/gritting and litter picking or landscaping activities (e.g. planting, weeding, fencing, paving) after appropriate training.
- Move furniture, equipment and, where appropriate, musical instruments for classes, events, exams, meetings and site moves to ensure that rooms are set up according to agreed set-up plans
- Assist in the monitoring of teaching rooms to ensure users are abiding by terms and details of bookings including checking bookings and opening and closing rooms have been booked.
- Accept, sort and distribute internal and external mail and other deliveries.
- Open and close buildings as required and ensure the intruder alarms are set and buildings secured.
- Ensure car park arrangements are operational on site and that users adhere to conditions of use.
- Provide support across the site assisting with fire activations and emergency procedures, testing of fire alarms, checking the Building Management System and plant and equipment.
- Complete regular inspections and update records to ensure the maintenance of statutory obligations and a safe and welcoming working environment for staff, students and visitors.
- Ensure requests from the service desk are responded to in a timely manner and customers are kept informed about the progress of their requests.
- Assist the Facilities Supervisor and Facilities Manager in the provision of an effective, efficient and responsive 24-hour emergency response service.
- Be a nominated First Aider and respond as required (appropriate training will be provided). 16. Summon and deal effectively with emergency services and assist in site evacuation procedures including for those with Personal Evacuation Plans (PEEPS).
- Where applicable, issue, receive, log into/out of stock, check and store appropriately any loan equipment or musical instruments or other loan items in line with established systems and procedures.
- GCSE English and maths (or equivalent) Qualification or experience in a building related discipline
- Health and Safety Training
- Qualified First Aider or willingness to be trained Driving licence Desirable, but not essential:
- SIA Licence or willingness to undertake appropriate security training would be desirable but not essential.
- Essential Experience speaking to students and young people in a supportive, restorative and engaging manner proven track record of understanding and responding to customer demand, in a proactive manner
- Experience of undertaking general unskilled maintenance
- A good understanding of health and safety in the workplace and safe working practices Desirable but not essential:
- Good working knowledge of Office software such as Word and Excel
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT LUMINATE EDUCATION GROUP
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). This is an exciting time to join this rapidly growing education group, with an Ofsted grade of 'good' with 'outstanding' features, you will be working at one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Luminate Education Group, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
You can read about these benefits, and others in more detail by downloading the Staff Benefits document attached to this vacancy.
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Please use the person specification (on the job description under "Documents Available") to complete your supporting statement.
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.