14-16 Support Worker, (Reduced Year) (LCC2991)
- Full Time
** COVID-19 INFORMATION: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic you may experience some delays during the recruitment process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. **
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
Reduced year, 39 weeks per year
WHAT WE DO
The 14-16 Skills Development Programme has moved to Margate to a purpose-built environment for our pre 16 provision. This will incorporate facilities to support students to prepare for adulthood alongside studying English and maths and having the opportunity to 'try out' vocational courses to support their progression. The 14-16 Skills Development Programme is for students aged 14-16 who are unable to access mainstream Year 10 and Year 11 provision. We have 85 pre 16 students Students referred to this course who often have Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) and/or additional SEND needs which has resulted in their disengagement from mainstream provision. Many of the students who attend this provision have an Education, Health and Care Plan.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work closely with programme tutors and 14 -16 Mentors in supporting individual students or groups of students who may demonstrate emotional and behavioural problems.
- Support teaching staff where individual student behaviour within a group is impacting on the learning of the group as a whole.
- Collaborate with teachers and 14 -16 Mentors to develop learning strategies and practices for pre-16 pupils including individual and group student support strategies.
- Collaborate with teachers and 14 -16 Mentors to facilitate links with schools, parents and appropriate external agencies e.g. Education Welfare Service, Social Services, Social Inclusion Unit and Youth Offending Teams.
- Assist with the collection and maintenance of documentation for student records.
- Contribute to individual student target-setting and reviews and contribute to ongoing advice and guidance concerning progression routes.
- Maintain an overview of attendance and follow up absences immediately.Attend team and staff meetings
- Good general education at NVQ level 2 or equivalent including literacy and numeracy.
- Appropriate training and/or a willingness to undertake training in supporting the needs of disengaged/disadvantaged students who may have emotional and behavioural problems.
- Experience of working with disengaged/disadvantaged young people in an educational setting.
- Experience of working with schools, parents and external support agencies.
- Ability to manage challenging behaviour.
- Ability to prioritise tasks.
- Ability to show empathy for and have an understanding of the needs of this particular age group.
- Ability to work positively & effectively as a member of a team and on own initiative.
- Excellent communication skills & interpersonal skills.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT LEEDS CITY COLLEGE
Leeds City College is part of the Luminate Education Group, and is one of the UK’s largest FE establishments with around 1,440 employees and over 22,560 students. We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Leeds City College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Danielle Cunningham Danielle.Cunningham@leedscitycollege.ac.uk
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.