Health & Safety Officer
- Salary: £29,691 - £31,495** per annum
- **An additional Market forces payment up to 5% of salary, could be accessible for a fully qualified, suitably experienced/exceptional candidate. This can be discussed at interview.
- Location: Based at the Wakefield City Campus and working across all campus sites multi-sites (hybrid working options may also be available and can be discussed at interview)
About the College:
Wakefield College is the largest college in the Wakefield District, providing education to over 8000 students and employing over 700 staff. The current main campus sites are located in Wakefield and Castleford.
The Health & Safety Officer role is part of the established and experienced Estates team, who cover a large remit of services including maintaining the College buildings, security, catering, caretaking, cleaning, maintenance, energy and waste management. The Estates team take extreme pride in the delivery of their service and the standards which they operate. The team works efficiently and effectively together and supports each other on a day to day basis.
You should be a qualified experienced Health and Safety professional, who is enthusiastic and passionate about health and safety and in turn an excellent communicator who can provide health and safety guidance and support to staff working in Curriculum and Service Areas of the College. You should be proactive in identifying areas that require support and promote a positive health and safety culture.
You should be NEBOSH (Diploma) qualified and be able to interpret and communicate complex Health & Safety regulations.
About the Role:
As Health & Safety Officer, you will be the primary point of contact for all health and safety queries, supported by the Assistant Health and Safety Officer for Compliance.
This role will involve the following duties:
- Leading and promoting health and safety for the College, through open engagement with students, staff and visitors.
- Managing, reviewing and promoting risk assessments
- Organise and implement statutory fire evacuation drills
- Conduct investigation of accidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses on and off College premises
- Line managing the Assistant Health and Safety Officer for Compliance
- Delivering a structured programme of health and safety training throughout each academic year, identifying key areas and compliance with changes to legislation
The role of Health and Safety Officer within College is varied, and every day is different, with new challenges. You will get to meet and support staff from all areas of the College such as Motor Vehicle, Construction, Hair & Beauty, Hospitality & Catering, Horticulture and Animal Care.
See what we have to offer and come and join us. You won’t be disappointed.
- Generous Annual Leave (30 days annual leave + bank holidays + 5 College closure days)
- Personal and Professional Development opportunities, including a comprehensive induction
- Discounted Metro Card Scheme
- Good Pension Scheme
- Access to employee assistance programme
- Reduced price personal gym membership
- Access to a wide range of high street discounts (retail, supermarkets and restaurants)
- Annual Staff Recognition Awards
Closing date: 11.00am Friday 15 October 2021
Please note, no agency and previous applicants need not apply.
Transforming lives through learning …
… by enabling young people, adults and employers to fulfil their potential.
Wakefield College is committed to safeguarding the welfare of all students and this post will be subject to Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS.
We aim to develop a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve and positively encourage applications from all.