Attendance & Pastoral Officer
Responsible to: Assistant Principal
Providing effective administration of Ada’s Attendance systems and processes, and for the provision of continuous high quality support for 6th form students.
Closing date: 11.00 on 17 September 2021
Welcome to Ada!
We are the Government’s National College for Digital Skills, the top performing institution for the new Computer Science BTEC and are passionate about educating, supporting and creating the next generation of digital pioneers.
As a small college (155 students and growing) in Tottenham Hale, North London, we have a very diverse student body from a wide range of backgrounds and are committed to using tech as a tool for social mobility. We offer a supportive culture for students and staff and our excellent industry links ensure you get regular formal and informal CPD to support your teaching and technical knowledge and development.
We are a specialist college where all our students are passionate about tech and we are committed to supporting them to progress onto highly skilled roles in the digital sector. All students study computer science for at least 60% of their curriculum, with regular off-curriculum industry projects with partners such as King Games, Salesforce, Deloitte and Bank of America.
We are passionate about high quality teaching and learning, using industry’s problems to bring education to life for our learners and thinking of innovative new approaches to communicating some of tech’s more challenging concepts!
Our students achieve highly across all subjects and progress to an amazing range of destinations. In Summer 2021 these included: Deloitte, Vodafone, KPMG, Goldman Sachs, BT, BBC, Oxford University, Nottingham University, Queen Mary University and many more with over 70% progressing to their first choice destination.
We received Good with Outstanding features in our first Ofsted inspection in October 2018.
Purpose of the Role:
Working as part of an experienced, collaborative and talented team, your role will be to ensure the excellent attendance and punctuality of all 6th form students and to provide holistic pastoral support to all 6th form students at Ada. The postholder will be expected to build positive and trusting relationships with Ada's 6th form students' and ensure that Ada’s attendance, values and behaviour policy are upheld. This is an immensely rewarding role for the right candidate and will play a substantial part in a student’s academic as well as social and emotional development during their two years of study.
The most significant part of this role will be implementing effective processes and systems to monitor student attendance and punctuality and working with the Senior Leadership Team and teaching teams to ensure attendance remains high and effective, and that rapid interventions are made.
Attendance and Punctuality
- Undertake the full range of activities relating to attendance and punctuality including making telephone calls to parents/carers in a timely fashion for absent students, and accurately recording i within the MIS system
- Monitor and report on student attendance and punctuality on a weekly basis, reporting concerns to the Assistant Principal and Principal as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with students, parents and College leaders to create and track students’ individual attendance and/or punctuality plans.
- Arrange attendance concern meetings with students/ parents and carers.
- As directed, provide pastoral support, advice and guidance to students when requested or when a need is identified
- Report student concerns to the safeguarding lead, actively contributing to safeguarding meetings.Work with teachers, senior leaders, local authorities and other relevant stakeholders to access all required documentation about students to ensure the College fully understands their personal, emotional, social and learning needs
- Monitor individual progression of all assigned students against agreed targets set by the curriculum, including taking action to support students who are attendance concerns, under‐performing or experiencing pastoral concerns
- Support the Assistant Principal to address disciplinary issues, including participation in meetings and evidence gathering whilst ensuring that all relevant college staff are informed of agreed targeted actions in support of the student’s performance
- Ensure all support actions are recorded on the College’s management information system system and/or other appropriate central information systems
- Provide administrative support for the counselling provision. Meet with students to complete their registration documents for the lead counsellor, and timetable sessions for students.
Supporting Futures, and Organisation Administration
- Provide support to the Assistant Principal on delivering a successful futures programme, to secure the best possible destinations for all of our students
- As directed, work one-to-one with individual students to support them with finding the best opportunities
- To support the organisation and delivery of themed events and activities organised and managed by the Principal
- To lead the organisation of key College events such as yearly parents and carers meetings, open evenings 6th form extra-curricular activities planning etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Sixth Form, as required, including liaising with the nominated First Aider in the event of an incident.
- Prior experience working with young adults (14 - 24 years)
- Monitoring and reporting on student or employee progress
- Addressing and successfully challenging concerning student behaviour
- Experience supporting young people with personal and emotional well-being. i.e Mental health,
- Working knowledge of relevant policies/codes of practice
- Motivating and engaging a variety of learners.
- Experience of supporting vulnerable or at risk young people
- Coaching experience
Ada, the National College for Digital Skill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and references will be sought from previous employers prior to commencing employment. Other related pre-employment checks appropriate to the post will also be carried out.
Remuneration and Benefits
8:30am - 4:30pm Mon, Wed, Thur 8:30-5pm Tues, 8:30-4pm Fri
Selection process: Application; interview and tasks relevant to the post
The college holidays are broadly in line with Haringey Local Authority term dates.
All employees undergo an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check
Ada. National College for Digital Skills recognises that equality of opportunity and the recognition and promotion of diversity are integral to its strengths. The following principles apply in respect of the College’s commitment to equality and diversity:
Applicants with disabilities
Ada. National College for Digital Skills is keen to increase the number of disabled people it employs. We therefore encourage applications from individuals with a disability who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have special needs in relation to your application please HR@ada.ac.uk.
Sadly, we are unable to offer sponsorship for this role so can only accept applications from candidates who have the legal right to work and remain in the United Kingdom.
Thank you for your interest and good luck with your application!
Please apply via the link