Welfare and Student Engagement Officer (LCC2824)
** COVID-19 INFORMATION: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic you may experience some delays during the recruitment process. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. **
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
WHAT WE DO
The 14-16 Skills Development Programme has moved to Mabgate, to a purpose-built environment for our pre 16 provision. This will incorporate facilities to support students prepare for adulthood alongside studying English and Maths whilst having the opportunity to ‘try out’ vocational courses to support their progression. The 14-16 Skills Development Programme is for students aged 14-16 who are unable to access mainstream Year 10 and Year 11 provision. In 2020/21 we have 85 pre 16 students. Students referred to this course often have Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) and/or additional SEND needs which has resulted in their disengagement from mainstream provision. Many of the students who attend this provision have an Education, Health and Care Plan.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Be responsible for a caseload students who have SEMH needs and provide well-being support whilst the students are enrolled to Leeds City College.
- Liaise with the Deputy Head of SEND and Pastoral and SEND Support Leads on the transition into, through and out of LCC for the caseload of students who have High Needs/SEND working collaboratively with Schools, parents and other partners.
- Lead on student referrals relating to individual need such as Early Help, CME and Mindmate.
- Ensure collaboration with the Deputy Head of SEND and Pastoral and SEND Support Leads to provide information which will support any education, care and health plan documentation/reviews. And that they are prepared in a timely manner and the college is compliant with all local authority/legal frameworks and college processes as required by the Head of SEND.
- Support with the Attendance Officer with all aspects of attendance. This may include attending home visits, phone calls/emails home and completing CLM.
- Attend meetings organised by the Senior Leadership Team to discuss well-being strategies and interventions needed to support a caseload of students.
- Lead on the well-being strategy for the Skills Development Programme.
- Deliver training and support in the specialist area for staff as part of the college CPD programme, for curriculum teams or individuals as required.
- Chair own team meetings, use of restorative practices and high level of emotional intelligence to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with and to advise and support others.
- Provide appropriate guidance and supervision and assist in the training and development of the staffing team.
- Liaise with external bodies and support services as required.
- You will be a designated Safeguarding Officer or have the willingness to undertake the training within the first 6 months of start date.
- You will have extensive and proven experience of working with students who have high needs / SEND in a direct specialist support role while maintaining appropriate relationships and boundaries with a commitment to the significance of the learner voice.
- You will have an understanding of potential barriers to health and wellbeing as well as current and relevant health and wellbeing practises
- You will have experience of providing interventions/strategies to support students to enhance their emotional well-being.
- You will have experience of working with external agencies to build and maintain effective partnership working.
- You will have experience in planning and active promotion of policies, procedures and systems to promote positive change.
- You will have experience in completing student referrals to a variety of external agencies.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT LEEDS CITY COLLEGE
Leeds City College is part of the Luminate Education Group, and is one of the UK’s largest FE establishments with around 1,440 employees and over 22,560 students. We offer a curriculum as diverse as our students within a vibrant and multicultural learning environment. Our goal is to deliver excellent and innovative education which supports and inspires every student to achieve their ambitions.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Leeds City College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
You can read about these benefits, and others in more detail by downloading the Staff Benefits document attached to this vacancy.
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Please use the person specification (on the job description under "Documents Available") to complete your supporting statement.
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.
For further information about the role including job description and application form please visit the vacancies section of our website via the apply link.