Technical Skills Coach - London
Immediate vacancy for a full-time Technical Skills Coach to work with our higher-level apprentices and help them secure life changing roles in the tech sector.
Nature of the role: Full time role available
Location: There is some flexibility around the base and hours of work for this role and it can, at the current time, be carried out in a predominantly remote way. However, there is an expectation in the coming months that the appointed candidate spend time each week at our London site and conduct meetings with our industry partners typically in their offices.
Responsible for: effectively supporting and coaching a caseload of apprentices
Salary: Up to £35,000 dependent on relevant experience
Closing date for applications: 26 July 2021 at 11.00.
Please note: we will review applications as they are submitted and reserve the right to remove the advert should an excellent candidate be identified before this date so early applications are recommended
Welcome to Ada!
We are a specialist digital skills college training and developing diverse higher-level apprentices into fantastic roles in the tech sector and transforming their lives in the process. We work with over 30 of the most cutting-edge companies on the planet. They choose us because of the quality of our teaching, learning and support.
We are growing rapidly. We have nearly 250 apprentices on roll from a wide range of backgrounds: 75% are recent school leavers, though the oldest is 42. A third are young women, one third BAME and many come from tough backgrounds. They represent over 15 different nationalities. They are united by their passion and enthusiasm for tech!
Apprentices enrol on one of three degree apprenticeships: software development, data analytics or a more generalist tech consultant programme all of which are validated by the Open University. All of our apprenticeship training is currently delivered from our Whitechapel campus, just minutes from the tube and train station.
We are looking to recruit enthusiastic professionals who are keen to take on a new challenge and demonstrate their skills at teaching, sharing their expertise across a range of tech related topics with the next generation of digital pioneers. We will invest in your development so that you can develop your skills and change the lives of thousands of young people with a passion for tech desperate to break into the sector.
At Ada we are committed to ensuring our apprentices and their employers are supported throughout their apprenticeship to the highest standards. To achieve this, we are looking for fantastic skills coaches with technical knowledge to manage a case-load of apprentices, providing guidance and support ensuring successful completion of their apprenticeship and progression into full time roles.
Within the role, coaches will maintain regular contact with apprentices & their employers providing continuous guidance throughout the apprenticeship, ensuring the students stay on track and are ready for their End Point Assessment.
Coaches will typically have a case-load of apprentices and will be expected to travel across our employers, organising and running progress reviews with apprentices & employer. This is a unique opportunity to work with a wide range of employers and apprentices, understanding their strengths and areas for development and helping them develop their skills and work effectively within their organisations and teams.
- Assessing and supporting apprentices through their apprenticeship programme
- Carrying out reviews either in person or on the phone with apprentices and line managers to monitor progress against key milestones
- Work with students to create and monitor their individual learning plans
- Providing personal and professional support to apprentices and employers
- Ensuring monthly performance updates on learners are provided to Ada
- Providing rigorous feedback on work-based learning evidence
- Managing & tracking of progression of all key programme elements
- Assessing whether apprentices are ready to enter gateway and support them to prepare for their end point assessment
- Ensuring all apprentice records are maintained and compliant to ESFA regulations
- Advising students on their work-based project (Level 5) and Synoptic Project (Level 6)
The person will:
- have experience in either Software Development or Software Engineering
- have experience tracking apprentices through the EPA process and with liaising with the relevant regulatory bodies
- have excellent communications skills and the ability to work effectively with people at all levels
- ideally have experience monitoring and reporting on individuals progress or in coaching learners/apprentices in their career development
- be willing to support with internal verification
- be able to effectively use systems, including e-portfolio tracking system, to record and track outcomes
- have a professional working ethos to effectively build business relationships with employers
- have an interest in technology and the digital industry
- be organised and have strong time management skills
- be adaptable and patient, able to manage many priorities at once and resolve concerns with empathy and compassion.
Variations to this Job Description This is a description of the job as it is at present, and is current at date of issue. The job description will be reviewed and updated as necessary to ensure that appropriate revisions are incorporated, and that it relates to the job to be performed.
Sponsorship Sadly we are unable to offer sponsorship for this role so can only accept applications from candidates who already have the legal right to work and remain in the United Kingdom.
Safeguarding Ada, the National College for Digital Skill is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. The successful candidate will be required to have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and references will be sought from previous employers prior to commencing employment. Other related pre-employment checks appropriate to the post will also be carried out.
Applicants with disabilities Ada. National College for Digital Skills is keen to increase the number of disabled people it employs. We therefore encourage applications from individuals with a disability who are able to carry out the duties of the post. If you have special needs in relation to your application please contact our HR Manager by email.
Equal opportunities Ada. National College for Digital Skills recognises that equality of opportunity and the recognition and promotion of diversity are integral to its strengths. The following principles apply in respect of the College’s commitment to equality and diversity:
- To provide and promote equality of opportunity in all areas of its work and activity;
- To recognise and develop the diversity of skills and talent within its current and potential community;
- To ensure that all employees and prospective employees of the College are treated solely on the basis of their merits, abilities and potential without receiving any unjustified discrimination or unfavourable treatment on grounds such as age, disability, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender reassignment, trans status, socio-economic status or any other irrelevant distinction;
- To provide and promote a positive working, learning, and social environment which is free from prejudice, discrimination and any forms of harassment, bullying or victimisation;
- To promote good relations between individuals from different groups.
Please note: As mentioned above, Ada is unfortunately not in a position to sponsor employees and in accordance with the requirements of the Immigration Act 2016, if you are shortlisted for interview you will be required to produce evidence of your eligibility to work and remain in the UK
This will involve showing:
- A passport/national identity card confirming British or Irish Citizenship/or a
- A document from the Home Office confirming that you are allowed to work in the UK (eg either a dependent of a sponsored worker or an ancestry visa).
(*From 1 July 2021 EEA and Swiss nationals will need to provide evidence of their visa or settled status alongside their passport).
Any offer of employment will be subject to a candidate being able to legally remain in the UK.
Thank you for your interest in the role and good luck with your application!
Please apply via the link