Adult Support Mentor (KC698)
Luminate Education Group consists of; Harrogate College (HC), Keighley College (KC), Leeds City College (LCC), Leeds Conservatoire (LC) and White Rose Academies Trust (WRAT). Luminate Education Group is one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and flexible team member with experience of supporting SEND students, able to communicate effectively at all levels.
WHAT WE DO
In learning support, we primarily focus on supporting adults in and out of class.
Each team member has a case load of students to support and this support must be evidenced and tracked through the College ICT systems.
Apprentices are supported in class, this is also evidenced in order to claim funding.
We are responsible for creating support plans for adults, 16-18's and apprentices, which offer guidance for tutors to make adjustments for the students' SEND barriers.
This includes a picture of need to support exam access arrangements.
We then use the evidence of support to make claims for funding from the Adult Education Budget.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Responsible for a caseload of students who have SEND needs acting as the main point of contact for the students while they are enrolled.
- Assist with transition into, through and out of Keighley College for the caseload of students who have SEND, working collaboratively with Schools, parents and other partners.
- Working with the Learning Support Coordinator ensure all paperwork for claiming funding is prepared in timely manner and the college is compliant with all local authority/legal frameworks and college processes as required.
- Complete emergency evacuation plans for students with SEND and provide guidance for all support and curriculum staff ensuring they understand their role and responsibility for the safe evacuation of students who have high needs in the campus/centre.
- Provide support to curriculum teams to complete the PEEPs for other SEND students.
- Provide guidance for curriculum teams as required to ensure support plan outcomes are achieved and Quality First Teaching (QFT) is in place for all SEND students.
- Improve outcomes for students with disabilities and difficulties offering expertise in the following areas: Develop expertise in a number of the areas and support colleagues within learning support and curriculum teams as required e.g.
- Support for blind and visually impaired students
- Support for deaf and hearing-impaired students
- Autistic spectrum conditions
- Dyslexia/other specific learning difficulties/ADHD/ADD
- Emotional /behavioural difficulties/mental health
- Speech and Language skill development
- The development of life skills
- Medical support needs
- Deliver an agreed number of hours of direct support within the classroom for students who have been assessed as having support needs.
- Maintain accurate, precise and timely records of support provided for students who have SEND needs and progress being made or interventions needed.
- Attend SEND team, cross-college and external meetings as required.
- Attend continuous professional development activities as required and ensure best practice is disseminated within teams.
Extensive and proven experience of working with students who have SEND in a direct specialist support role.
Knowledge of learning difficultly /disability issues which can be barriers to learning or progression and experience of supporting students to overcome these.
Successful and proven experience of meeting deadlines for completion of tasks.
Up to date knowledge and understanding of current Government, SEN/Disability legislation.
Up to date knowledge and understanding of quality assurance frameworks related to education such as Ofsted.
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more information about the role please contact:
Emma Rich, Support Manager. email@example.com
Christopher Bentham, Learning Support Coordinator.
We cannot accept CVs as part of the application process.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to every applicant. If you have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
A LITTLE BIT ABOUT KEIGHLEY COLLEGE
Keighley College, a highly successful community college is part of the Luminate Education Group. We pride ourselves on working closely with employers, the local community and other stakeholders to provide curriculum and support that meets the needs of our students. Choosing to work for Keighley College means that you will be part of an enterprising, inclusive, inspiring, collaborative, empowering, and dynamic environment. We are passionate about helping our students to achieve their goals. We have state-of-the-art facilities in a central location, close to public transport links and great industry connections. We hope that we will be part of the next step in your career and look forward to welcoming you to Keighley College.
BENEFITS & REWARDS
We have a range of excellent benefits and rewards at Keighley College, including:
Annual leave entitlement starting from 27 days + 8 bank holidays and up to 5 discretionary college closure days at Christmas
Excellent pension schemes with the West Yorkshire Pension Fund and the Teachers’ Pension
Discounted travel cards for those who regularly use public transport across the region with Northern Rail and Metro
Exceptional learning and development opportunities for all of our staff
Luminate Education Group is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All successful applicants are required to complete all mandatory pre-employment checks, including:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services (DBS) check
Children’s barred list check (we may also check the adult barred list if the role involves working with vulnerable adults)
Two professional references
Fitness to work, this is conducted by our occupational health partners, NHS Airedale
Section 128 check for all staff entering management roles
Prohibition check for all staff entering teaching related roles
Please Note: All successful applicants who have lived or travelled overseas for three months or more in the past five years will be required to undertake an overseas check as part of the pre-employment checks.
More information on overseas checks can be found on the government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants
All offers of employment are subject to satisfactory pre-employment checks.
RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
The UK Government introduced a new points based immigration system on 1 January 2021. You can read about the new immigration routes on the Gov.UK website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-immigration-system-what-you-need-to-know#visa-application-process
Many of the new routes require sponsorship from an employer. Luminate Education Group is not a licenced sponsor. We are unable to employ anyone without current, and appropriate right to work in the UK.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and you were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020, you have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, you can continue to prove your right to work in the UK with your passport and identity card up until 30 June 2021.
There is no change to immigration and right to work for British and Irish Citizens.
EQUALITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community, all candidates will be treated fairly irrespective of race, gender or gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief or age.
INFORMATION FOR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
Luminate Education Group vacancies generate a lot of interest and we receive many calls and emails from recruitment agencies. Although we do appreciate the interest you have shown in Luminate Education Group, our policy is to recruit candidates directly wherever possible. We therefore do not accept any cold calls, speculative emails or CVs from agencies. Speculative emails and CVs will be deleted unread.