Student Safety Engagement Officer
Oldham College are looking to appoint a term time (40 weeks) Student Safety Engagement officer to join our vibrant Student Services team. The successful candidate will work directly with 4 additional Student Safety Engagement officers and a Team Leader. This role is key to foster and promote a culture of positive student engagement and experience, providing high quality customer service in relation to campus safety. You will work closely with teaching staff, Safeguarding and Support staff to promote inclusion and ensure as many of the students as possible are supported to stay in and achieve at the college.
The role will require you to embed and work to the college’s values; working with Integrity, having Ambition to help our learners succeed and being Inclusive to learners and colleagues alike.
- Act as an ambassador for the college by promoting and engaging in positive activities relating to the enrichment agenda, eg health & fitness, healthy eating, no smoking, exercise, employability and enjoyment
- To develop positive and constructive relationships with students to enhance their personal and social education and enable them to participate fully in college activities
- Promote positive engagement with students through proactively identifying where support is needed and participating in classroom and enrichment activities during break times and other times as requested
- To positively challenge and employ de-escalation tactics when dealing with issues of poor behaviour and student attitude.
- Restrain and remove and individual on site who is a potential threat
- To help manage the student behaviour in public areas and classrooms in a positive manner
- Carry out regular ID card checks as required and manage the system used to administer the functionality of student badges (SiPASS).
- Maintain a safe and secure environment and be alert to any other potential security problems. Search buildings and unattended objects that are believed /have potential to contain suspicious or threatening items.
- Review CCTV footage as and when requested.
- Conduct Stop & Search protocols on students believed to be carrying prohibited items (weapons, drugs etc.)
- Support Safeguarding and disciplinary cases/meetings as and when required.
- Support and contribute to ongoing internal investigations relating to safety and security of students and staff
- Working as part of a cross college team, provide a First Aid provision within the college campus
- Assist the Health and Safety Manager with all evacuation and Lockdown situations. E.g. terror threats, violence threats etc
- Assist the Health and Safety manager with training in Fire Safety and Evacuation Chair usage
- Manage and action the Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for students through collection and recording of the application form
- Course Tutors
- Learning Mentors
- Front of House Team
- Campus Management Team
- Emergency Services
please click the apply button below