Location of Job: Flexible, with some time spent in London
Who we are & what we stand for
We design and deliver world-leading professional assessments. Kaplan has run the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (QLTS) on behalf of the solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) since its inception in 2011, and was appointed as the independent assessment organisation for the new Solicitors Qualifying Examination (SQE) which will be introduced in 2021.
How you’ll help us succeed
This is a high profile, demanding and influential role. Working closely with the Director of Psychometrics & Assessment Development, it offers an exciting and rare opportunity to be part of the team responsible for establishing, operating, improving and growing a major new national licensing examination.
- Provide core psychometric support for the SQE, and for QLTS until it finishes in 2022. This will involve carrying out full and comprehensive post-test analysis for MCQ and OSCE style assessments using classical and modern approaches to test analysis and standard setting to validate the assessments and their outcomes, and summarising and reporting findings.
- The postholder will, as part of a psychometric team, be expected to provide, document and report comprehensive post-test analysis and outcomes using both classical test theory and item response theory approaches.
In addition, and supporting the Director of Psychometrics and Assessment Development, there will be opportunities to contribute to
- Providing rigorous evidence informed analysis to support the continuous improvement of the SQE
- Developing and modelling workable solutions to new problems
- Contributing to and participating in the wider academic professional assessment community through attendance at conferences and publications.
- Explaining psychometric and assessment concepts underpinning the SQE to stakeholders
- Contributing towards research into the SQE
What you will bring:
Essential Skills and experience:
- High level technical competence in analysing and quality monitoring high-stakes professional assessment procedures using both Classical Test and Item Response Theory approaches
- Experience of a psychometric validation and standard setting methods used for knowledge and skills assessments
- Experience of using appropriate software for psychometric data analysis, such as SPSS or R
- Qualifications towards the above: probably a relevant PhD and/or Masters
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience of supporting high-stakes professional exams including working with Regulators or similar professional organisations
- Experience of creating and delivering psychometric assessment reports
- Publications in relevant fields such as healthcare assessment
- Originality in thought –this is an area of professional assessment which has limited traditions in the UK