Head of Instructional Design
- Full Time
Leeds with remote working opportunities, United Kingdom
At Kaplan Open Learning, we are experts in online Higher Education. Working closely with our partner universities, our vision is to become a world leader in online learning, making higher education accessible to anyone with the potential and drive to succeed.
We develop, deliver, support and market, sector-leading online higher education programmes to a global student audience. Our innovative and unique online pedagogy utilises the latest technology to provide teaching excellence and a world-class student experience.
We work in collaboration with our university partners to develop engaging, interactive learning materials using the latest digital learning technologies. This approach blends our unique online pedagogy with the research-led subject expertise of our partners.
Summary of the role
The Head of Instructional Design will oversee the design, development and production of online content for a wide range of online degree programmes offered across a variety of disciplines. S/he will apply pedagogical best practices and identify appropriate educational technologies needed to effectively produce innovative, engaging online programmes suitable to a student population from a variety of backgrounds. The Head of Instructional Design will collaborate closely with colleagues from the Kaplan Open Learning Academic Department, external Subject Matter Experts and colleagues at our partner Universities.
As the Head of Instructional Design, your main duties will include:
- Line management of Content Production Managers specialising in the design, development and production of online content;
- Responsibility for quality assuring the design of pedagogically appropriate activities, assessment models, interactive learning experiences and robust collaborative learning opportunities;
- Building and/or converting content to produce innovative, online learning activities to meet the needs of a variety of students and meet the expectations of our university partners;
- Ensuring compliance with relevant policies such as accessibility, copyright and Intellectual Property standards;
- Overseeing content and course development ensuring that the functionality is in line with instructional design principles;
- Ensuring the quality and timeliness of outputs;
- Monitoring and reporting on progress towards deadlines ensuring the process and progress is transparent and widely understood by internal and external stakeholders;
- Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a range of stakeholders and partners both internal and external. e.g. academic leaders, subject matter experts and other professional services;
- Evaluating digital learning products, platforms and solutions, recommending and implementing the integration of new and innovative production technologies and techniques into the production process;
As the Head of Instructional Design, you will be able to apply practical solutions to a variety of challenges when designing and building online programmes. You will have the ability to balance priorities, deal with complex academic and technical information and succeed through cooperation and collaboration with others.
Skills and Experience
- You will have proven experience of working within an educational environment, managing the production of quality programmes of learning based on sound pedagogical principles.
- You will have experience of taking responsibility for learning development teams tasked with the professional and timely delivery of multiple, concurrent production projects.
- Your experience will be within an online learning environment.
- This exciting role will suit a dynamic individual with proven experience in online course design, quality assurance and accompanied by excellent communication and organisational skills.
Essential skills and experience:
- Evidence of working closely with subject matter experts and stakeholders to define, scope and design innovative online learning programmes;
- Experience of formal staff line management with ability to motivate and develop teams to develop and deliver high quality online digital learning resources and courses;
- An ability to be flexible, creative and self-motivated to ensure the timely delivery of a production schedule through strong organisation and prioritisation skills;
- Evidence of managing and quality assuring the application of up-to-date and sound instructional design principles in an online educational environment;
- Experience of creating multimedia content designed specifically for online learning;
- Experience of using rapid authoring and AV tools used to create online learning resources (eg. Articulate 360, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia);
- Experience of working with a wide range of learning technology platforms, learning management systems, tools and services;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly present complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Experience of working in a HE environment
- An undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field
- Experience of managing multiple projects concurrently
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance and income protection schemes
- 25 days + public holidays pro rata
- Competitive salary
- To apply for this role, please apply with your CV and covering letter.
- The deadline for applications is 23:59 hrs Monday 8th March 2021
- Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If you would like to be considered for an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please complete this form or email us on email@example.com
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
About Kaplan Open Learning
Part of Kaplan Inc., Kaplan Open Learning is one of the world’s largest and most experienced providers of online degree education. We currently work with two UK partner Universities to deliver undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. Our students complete their studies through online learning using our interactive virtual classroom with rich multi-media resources which provide a gateway to a learning community supported by a dedicated academic and professional services team.
Our mission is to continue to transform students’ lives and careers by delivering and expanding our suite of innovative, industry led and career enhancing higher education programmes.