Deputy Director of Student Services (Maternity Cover)
Leeds City Centre/Remote working opportunities
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Deputy Director of Student Services (Maternity Cover) will take overall responsibility for the strategic leadership and management of the student-facing academic support services. The aim of our Student Services department is to support student retention, achievement and satisfaction through a range of services to enhance study skills and student wellbeing, ensuring that all students have access to support that suits their needs.
At Kaplan Open Learning , we are experts in online Higher Education. Working closely with our partner universities, our vision is to become a world leader in online learning, making higher education accessible to anyone with the potential and drive to succeed.
We develop, deliver, support and market, sector-leading online higher education programmes to a global student audience. Our innovative and unique online pedagogy utilises the latest digital learning technologies to provide teaching excellence and a world-class student experience.
We work in collaboration with our university partners to develop engaging, interactive learning materials using the latest digital learning technologies. This approach blends our unique online pedagogy with the research-led subject expertise of our partners. Find out more about our online provision at University of Essex Online and Online.Liverpool.ac.uk
Experienced in a leading a multi-disciplinary team you will enjoy working collaboratively with multiple teams including; Academic Departments, Admissions, Learning Technology, Finance and Quality and Enhancement to provide the highest level of student support across an expanding portfolio of programmes, and multiple University partners.
A key aspect of this role is leading on the development and enhancement of the Study Skills function in order to support two university partners.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Effective line management of the Head of Student Services and the Head of Student Experience and Welfare; to promote a culture of effective team work within the Student Services department and effective collaboration with other departments.
• Ensure that performance targets are effectively communicated, monitored and managed across own areas of responsibility to facilitate student retention and successful student outcomes.
• Work closely with other Heads of Department and the Senior Management Team to support the development of strategic plans relating to academic student support.
• Plan and implement effective resourcing to support organisational growth plans and strategies.
• Motivate and develop staff and ensure that they have an appropriate level of skills, knowledge and capability to carry out their work.
• Monitor and analyse internal and external student satisfaction data to ensure that high level NSS results are maintained and to implement change and enhancement where required.
• Analyse, and report to the Senior Management Team on key performance indicators including, Reverse Start Rates, Retention, Progression and Achievement; implement change and enhancements where required.
• Ensure that academic support activities are compliant with policies and procedures, and that team members are aware of any procedural changes.
• Oversee the Study Skills function to ensure materials and activities are appropriate, effective and provide enhancement where appropriate.
• Maintain oversight of the effective liaison arrangements with the University partner libraries to ensure uninterrupted access to library resources for students.
• To identify and lead on processes which will enhance the student experience and ensure that these are embedded within the organisation. Maintain knowledge and awareness of sector developments and issues which affect student services provision.
• Ensure that welfare and disability support is effectively resourced, managed and delivered.
• Designated Safeguarding and Prevent Lead.
• Deputise for the Director of Quality and Student Services where appropriate.
• Student Experience Committee
• Operations Management Board
• Academic Board
PERSON SPECIFICATION AND KEY COMPETENCIES
• Masters degree or above
• Senior leadership and line management experience
• High level of personal motivation, resilience, diplomacy and tact.
• Experience of working in a HE environment.
• Evidence of ability to undertake independent work to tight deadlines
• Proven credibility with key internal and external stakeholders including the ability to engage with senior staff and with colleagues in a variety of roles.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of Quality and Enhancement processes in higher education
• Knowledge and understanding of study skills provision to enhance the student experience
• Project Management Skills
• Awareness and engagement with strategic issues facing management in the HE sector
• Experience of working in Student Services
• Contributory pension scheme
• Life assurance and income protection schemes
• 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
• Working hours 37.5 per week
• Central Leeds location/remote working opportunities
• The opportunity to grow as part of a division in a successful multi-national education company
• Competitive salary.
Please apply with a CV and Covering letter
Closing Date: Friday 5th March 2021
At Kaplan International, we are committed to working in a diverse organisation and strive to provide equality of opportunity for all. We encourage and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or identity, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnership. If you would like to be considered for an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please complete this form or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.