Pro Bono Supervising Solicitor
7 days left
- Full Time
Delivering an outstanding Pro Bono experience
BPP Pro Bono Centre runs a number of projects engaging law students in the delivery of free legal education and advice services. One project is BPP’s Legal Advice Clinic currently providing clinics in enterprise, housing and family law matters as well as a general law clinic. BPP Pro Bono Centre seeks to expand the general law clinic and to include specialisation in welfare benefits.
A solicitor or barrister with considerable and varied expertise, you will play a key role in supervising student advisers and providing advice to clients on a range of welfare benefit and consumer and contract issues, including pursuing claims in the Social Security Tribunal and County Court. You will engage with volunteer lawyers from across BPP’s law firm clients and supervise a Trainee Solicitor.
What you’ll be doing
- Supervising cases in the Social Security BPP Legal Advice Clinics and attending the clinic sessions
- Overseeing and where appropriate supervising cases in the General BPP Legal Advice Clinic and attending the clinic session
- Ensuring that clients receive high quality legal advice
- Adhering to SRA regulations and the requirements of the Advice Quality Standard;
- Working closely with the Head of Clinics to ensure that the clinics run effectively;
- Helping to design, co-ordinate, implement and manage projects related to the Clinic
- Liaising with and recruiting volunteer lawyers to supervise our projects
- Maximising the clinical legal education and employability value of the students' work
- Promoting the culture and ethic of pro bono among the students
- Attending conferences and committee meetings in order to exchange ideas
Join the BPP Family
The world is changing. Help us disrupt, innovate and build careers through education. Established for over 40 years, we’re a global education provider delivering diverse qualifications for professionals at every stage of their career.
Committed? Passionate? Self-determined? Now’s your chance to be part of our exciting world.
Find more about joining the BPP family here.
What we’re looking for
- Qualification as a solicitor/barrister in England & Wales with ideally at least two years PQE
- Proficiency and experience in social security law and/or general litigation.
- A willingness to develop legal knowledge to supervise additional area of law.
- An understanding of and commitment to the roles of both clinics and pro bono in the provision of legal services.
- Excellent organisational and management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills and ability to convey complex information in an accessible way.
- An ability to explain the law clearly and simply both orally and in writing.
- Dedicated to providing a stimulating learning environment for students.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Confident public speaker or a passion to develop.
Please note that the role will require some occasion travel to other BPP centres and some evening work when required
Sound like the perfect fit? Apply today.