SENDCO (Special Educational Needs Disability Co-ordinator)
- Hours of work: 37 hours per week
- Location: Based at the Castleford Campus but may be required to work at any campus according to need
At Wakefield College, we are proud of the successes of our Additional Learning Support (ALS) area. It has a focused and dedicated team of staff who help us achieve our mission of delivering a high quality training and education service to a cohort of students with complex needs and in receipt of Educational Health and Care Plans, as well as students with additional support needs such as ADHD, Dyslexia, Asperger’s, SEMH and physical impairments.
As a SENDCO within the Additional Learning Support service, you will ensure the SENDCO function continues to excel through the effective management of staff resources and budgets, as well as planning and co-ordinating support for a cohort of students with additional learning support needs. You will also offer advice to facilitate high quality teaching by giving recommendations for inclusive ways of working with high-needs students in the classroom.
Alongside your experience of working with high-needs learners and knowledge of DDA legislation, you should have a proven history of identifying, planning, delivering, and reviewing support for learners with additional support needs. You should also demonstrate effective leadership skills and be able to provide robust and clear line management to a team of people within the department.
As a SENDCO, you should:
- Hold a SENCO qualification (or willing to undertake)
- Have GCSE grade A*-C / 9 – 4 in English or equivalent
- Have GCSE grade A*-C / 9 – 4 in Maths or equivalent
You should also be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of working with young people with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties
- Experience of identifying the additional needs of learners and producing individual support plans
- Ability and willingness to plan and co-ordinate support for learners with a range of support needs
- Effective line manager experience
See what we have to offer and come and join us. You won’t be disappointed.
- Generous Annual Leave (30 days annual leave + bank holidays + 5 College closure days)
- Personal and Professional Development opportunities, including a comprehensive induction
- Discounted Metro Card Scheme
- Good Pension Scheme
- Access to employee assistance programme
- Reduced price personal gym membership
- Access to a wide range of high street discounts (retail, supermarkets and restaurants)
- Annual Staff Recognition Awards, Staff BBQ, Christmas Party
Closing date: 11.00am on Wednesday 3 February 2021
Interview date: To be confirmed
PLEASE NOTE NO AGENCIES, DIRECT APPLICANTS ONLY.
Transforming lives through learning …
… by enabling young people, adults and employers to fulfil their potential.
Wakefield College is committed to safeguarding the welfare of all students and this post will be subject to Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS.
We aim to develop a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve and positively encourage applications from all.