Skills Development Co-ordinator
Location: Paignton, Devon
There has never been a better time to join an exciting and vibrant cluster and make a difference.
South Devon College has an exciting new job role, as a result of collaboration between the Torbay Hi Tech Cluster employers and TDA, supported by Devon County Council and the Heart of the South West. The key aim of this role is to support the development of training across key engineering growth centres including Photonics, Optics and Microelectronics.
The Torbay Hi Tech cluster is an internationally recognised UK location for research and development, new product design and manufacturing of photonics and microelectronics products. The cluster is a mix of world-leading UK and foreign owned companies from multi-national to SMEs; all of which are growing to keep pace with the demand across the globe brought about by the Internet of Things, 5G, autonomous vehicles and the always connected world of telecommunications.
With a history and legacy going back many decades (including the development of components and infrastructure that built the internet) Torbay’s place as World leading provider of robust, reliable and resilient photonics and microelectronics components is unquestioned.
Working as an integral part of the skills development needs of an internationally important cluster, this new role will be crucial in the next stage of the growth of the cluster which will only be as successful as the next generation of engineers and technicians it recruits.
The successful candidate will work with cluster companies and key stakeholders including the TDA who are responsible for regeneration and economic development in the area. The TDA also manage the Electronics & Photonics Innovation Centre (EPIC) which is the home of the Torbay Hi tech Cluster. Working with the key members of the TDA to ensure that EPIC tenants and the wider cluster skills development needs are exceeded will form a key part of this role.
The primary outcome of the Skills Development Coordinator is to ensure that all curriculum projects are well-organised are completed on time and within the budget. This work requires multitasking, attention to detail and strong communication skills.
Roles & responsibilities include but not exclusive to:
- The first touchpoint between the Colleges Employer Engagement Team, external agencies, such as the TDA and the Curriculum regarding the development of skills that ultimately can improve productivity, efficiency and increased success of a business.
- Working with employers through meeting and/or ‘line walks’, mapping the technical skills needs of the employer to a current or new curriculum.
- Key focus on the development of new Higher Skills training solutions or packages that provide relevant training for the future workforce by engaging with a growing and developing sector which needs to recruit, train and retain a local workforce with the right skills, knowledge and behaviours to address hard to fill vacancies and close any skills gaps.
- Repurposing existing curriculum to overcome the COVID challenges and meet the growth needs of key sectors i.e. local and regional sectors, the Torbay Hi Tech Cluster; apprenticeship and training at level 3 for the essential (basic) skills. Complementing existing programmes that offer new and transition skills to learners in this growth sector
- Support businesses to adapt to new ways of working, invest in skills and technology for their business and work together around core issues such as innovation and knowledge transfer.
- Developing and delivering engaging and innovative Teaching & Learning sessions.
For informal conversation regarding the operational aspects of this role, information on South Devon College and its links to the Torbay Hi Tech Cluster contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Benefits as follows: 37 days Holiday (pro rata for fractional), up to 5 College closure days, Paid Bank Holidays, Membership of the Teachers' Pension Scheme, Life Assurance (if member of pension scheme) On Site Nursery (Mama Bears), Fitness Suite Facilities, Staff Discounts (Inspirations – Hair & Beauty, NUS Student Cards, membership of the Sodexo Employee Discounts Platform), Holiday Purchase Scheme, Access to Automotive Department (Small Car Repairs & Pre MOT Testing at low costs), Discounted Stagecoach Bus Pass, and many others. http://southdevon.ac.uk/working-at-south-devon-college/benefits-of-working-at-south-devon-college
Closing Date: Midnight, Sunday 7 February 2021
Interview Date: Tuesday 16 February 2021
We welcome applications from people who wish to apply on the basis of a job share or flexible working arrangement.
Please note that you will be required to be in possession of an Enhanced DBS Certificate, or be willing to undertake an Enhanced DBS check as a condition of employment at the College.
This College is committed to Safeguarding/Prevent and promoting the welfare of learners, including children and young people, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please apply via the link