HMP Erlestoke have an exciting opportunity for a Horticulture Tutor to join the education department in the prison.
As a highly motivated individual with excellent Horticulture / Landscaping / Gardening Skills, you will use your current industry experience to support and inspire learners to develop confidence, skills and experience and achieve Horticulture qualifications, which learners can then apply to gain sustainable employment upon release.
This is an amazing opportunity, which will be both challenging and highly rewarding. As a Horticulture tutor / lecturer / teacher, you will be delivering Horticulture courses to a diverse group of learners within the prison.
As a valued member of the Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will also help to develop a strong Horticulture programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Horticulture. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Horticulture teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMP Erlestoke, Wiltshire, Devises, SN10 5TU
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
About HMP Erlestoke:
HMP Erlestoke is a Category C prison, holding approximately 524 adult male sentenced offenders. The prison is built on the former grounds of Erlestoke Manor House and has expanded in both offender numbers and intervention programmes.
HMP Erlestoke’s focus is firmly fixed on reducing reoffending and preventing future victims of crime by preparing offenders for their release through accredited intervention programmes, skill and vocational based training and education, in a pro social environment.
Courses at HMP Erlestoke include Maths, English, IT, Horticulture, Carpentry, Plastering, Bricklaying, Cleaning and Support Services, Cookery, Creative Craft, Personal and Development Skills and much more.
The education hours are Monday to Thursday 8.45am – 11.45am, 1.45pm – 4.45pm and on Fridays 8.45am – 11.45am.
Involved with several projects including “Reading Ahead” where Erlestoke have achieved a double gold award for over 500 completions. As well as participating with the “Inside Out” project and “Chain Gang” creative writing class. Erlestoke also issue internal magazines highlighting various events, projects and support alongside articles, interviews and shared experiences as well as promoting well-being and education.
HMP Erlestoke achieved “Good” in their most recent Ofsted inspection.
HMP Erlestoke strive to provide a safe, decent and secure environment for offenders, staff and visitors.
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above).
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
Please apply via the link.