Painting and Decorating Teacher
HMPYOI Winchester have an exciting opportunity for a Painting and Decorating Tutor to join the education department in the prison.
As a highly motivated individual with excellent Painting and Decorating Skills, you will use your current industry experience to support and inspire learners to develop confidence, skills and experience and achieve Painting and Decorating qualifications, which learners can then apply to gain sustainable employment upon release.
This is an amazing opportunity, which will be both challenging and highly rewarding. As a Painting and Decorating tutor / lecturer / teacher, you will be delivering Painting and Decorating courses to a diverse group of learners within the prison.
As a valued member of the Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will also help to develop a strong Painting and Decorating programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Painting and Decorating. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Painting and Decorating teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMPYOI Winchester, Hampshire, SO22 5DF
About HMPYOI Winchester:
HMP/YOI Winchester is a busy Category B/C Local prison housing both sentenced and remand prisoners from the age of 18. The Education Department delivers relevant short courses that help prepare learners for employment upon release in three different Education areas in the prison. Courses include: English and Maths Functional Skills (Entry 1 to Level 2), ESOL, ICT, Art, Cookery, Employability Skills, and Barbering. We also work closely with our prison colleagues to provide embedded Employability skills in the prison workshops for Carpentry, Recycling, Textiles and Enterprise Services. The Education department has recently started working with external employers to provide employment opportunities upon release to the workers in the main prison kitchen who engage in the Hospitality and Catering Academy programme provided by the College in partnership with Premier Inn and also those keen to show their potential through a fast track employment course linked to Timpsons. This is a model which we hope to further expand in the future.
In the department we believe the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge will help our learners to end their offending behaviour. We engage the hardest to reach learners and encourage them to take pride in their own education and self-development. As a department, we endeavour to inspire learners to achieve.
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above).
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards.
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.
Please apply via the link.