Apprentice Patient Navigator
Employer Name: Newport Pagnell Medical Centre
Working Week: Mon - Fri
Duration: 12 Months
Possible Start Date: 23/09/2019
A fantastic opportunity in providing a high standard of face to face and telephone care for patients, staff and visitors, whilst always maintaining patient confidentiality. Dealing with patients repeat prescription ordering.
Main duties/key tasks:
- Greet patients, doctors and visitors at Reception in a polite and friendly manner.
- Answer the telephone promptly and courteously.
- Make appointments using the computerised appointments system.
- Deal with general enquiries from patients and visitors in a helpful and efficient manner.
- Order repeat medication for patients.
- Support colleagues to maintain an efficient and friendly team atmosphere.
- Franking mail and posting.
- Any other duties that may be required.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source must be regarded as strictly confidential.
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons, in accordance with the Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others health, safety and security as defined in the Practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to Practice guidelines.
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks.
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills.
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards.
- Reporting potential risks identified.
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting a way that recognises the importance of peoples rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies, and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgemental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
- The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment.
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the Practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk.
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the teams performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members.
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers.
- Recognise peoples needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
N.B. This job description is a reflection of the current position and the post holder should expect that it may be subject to variation from time-to-time.
Things to consider
- Please ensure you are able to travel to the employer’s location.
- As an Apprentice you will be able to apply for the NUS Apprentice extra card. This will allow you to gain discounts on travel, food on over 200 high street and online retailers.
- Maths and English Grade C/4 or equivalent.
Predicted grades will be acceptable with application
- Good communication skills.
- Confidence in using the telephone although training will be given.
- Good attention to detail.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Keyboard/IT skills.
- Polite and friendly.
- Smart in appearance.
Please apply via the link.