Lecturer - Prison Education
Do you like working in a challenging but rewarding environment where each day is different and time flies?
Are you an enthusiastic and talented teacher/tutor who is looking to transform lives through learning?
Have you ever thought of a career in Prison Education?
Milton Keynes College Prison Education Teams at HMP Whitemoor are seeking Lecturers/Tutors to deliver a variety of accredited and non-accredited qualifications to a diverse group of learners, helping to build their confidence, develop their skills and achieve within a college environment. The College are looking for candidates interested in ad hoc cover to work on a sessional basis, who are keen to explore Prison Education as their employment.
If you hold qualifications or expertise in more than one area – For example: English and Maths, this could give you the opportunity to cover across multiple courses and as a result the potential for more cover hours. (Please note curriculum areas do vary slightly from site to site).
Milton Keynes College Prison Education team are currently looking for individuals with one or more of the below skill sets to support their curriculum at HMP Whitemoor - Ability to cover more than 1 of these areas would be beneficial.
- Functional Skills English Entry to Level 2
- Functional Skills Maths Entry to Level 2
- Business / Enterprise / Self Employment Levels 1 and 2
- ITC and CAD Entry to Level 3
- Art Entry to Level 2
- Personal Social Development (PSD) / Employability / Mentoring Entry to Level 2
- ESOL Entry to Level 1
- Music Technology Levels 1, 2 and 3
- Plastering and Painting and Decorating Levels 1 and 2
- Catering Levels 1 and 2
Prison education runs all year round, all day Monday-Thursday and until lunchtime on a Friday. Delivery hours at HMP Whitemoor are 08.45-11.00/11.15 for the morning sessions, and 13.55-16.35 for the afternoon sessions, amounting to 5-5.25 delivery hours per full day split across 2 long lessons, within an overall 08:00-17:00 day.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a relevant Degree or Vocational qualification (level 3 or above) in a subject specialism.
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification or above or willing to work towards.
- Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
- The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
Open Event: Late July 2019
Please apply via the link.