Childcare Apprentice Level 3
Employer: Silvertrees Academy Trust
Apprenticeship level: Advanced
Apprenticeship duration: 18 months
Possible start date: 08th April 2019
Working week: Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.00pm. This role is TERM TIME ONLY + INSET DAYS.
Total hours per week: 32.50
To provide classroom support to pupils under the direction of the teacher. To facilitate the pupils development and skills in the use of resources including IT. To maintain pupils’ interests and motivation. Assisting pupils with dress/changing for activities/personal hygiene.
To provide classroom support to pupils under the direction of the teacher:
- Where appropriate taking charge of a group or class in an emergency situation under the direction and control of the Head Teacher, or other designated member of staff, for a period not greater than one working day
- To facilitate the pupils development and skills in the use of resources including IT
To maintain pupils’ interests and motivation:
- Assisting pupils with dress/changing for activities/personal hygiene
- To support individual/group work across the curriculum to raise levels of achievement
- Care and welfare of pupils to include toileting and feeding as required
- Escorting pupils around school premises/and take home
Support to School:
- Undertake a period of duty during the school lunch break, subject to being given a reasonable rest period (normally not less than ½ hour)
- Support to Head Teacher in the professional development and training of nursery nurse students
- Contact and links with those with parental responsibility during the working day, as part of the normal consultative and educational process
- To contribute to the development of, and maintain school policies and procedures
- Preparation of rooms, equipment and displays
Maintain school routine:
- To promote high standards of behaviour throughout school in accordance with Discipline and Behaviour Policy
- Support ethos of school
- Maintenance of safe environment
Support to Teachers:
- Contact with parents as part of normal consultative and educational process, eg parents evenings
- To deliver pre-planned programmes of work
- Planning and organisation of activities for children and support to teachers in the completion of assessment and other pupil records
- Undertaking duties on a rota basis during mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks
- To assist the teacher with supervision of pupils on school trips/visits
- Keeping materials and equipment in tidy/safe manner
- Liaison with teachers and other staff to obtain, exchange and record information on pupils in accordance with school policy
- Support the supervision of individuals/groups of pupils
Support with Curriculum:
- To contribute to the development of curriculum policies
- To assist in the teaching of the curriculum
- Support to teachers in the assessment and monitoring of pupils, in accordance with school policy
- Contribute to development of school policies and procedures as part of Key Stage team
- To support individual/group work across the curriculum to raise levels of achievement and to respond appropriately to pupils
- Participation in working groups on curriculum matters
- Contribute to curriculum development as part of training days and at any ongoing review meetings
- Involvement in planning meetings
- Attendance at staff meetings and appropriate training sessions as required
- Repair and maintenance of books and equipment
- Development and preparation of curriculum materials
- To participate in the operation of the Council’s Personal Performance Development Scheme
It is your responsibility to carry out your duties in line with the Council's policy on equality and be sensitive and caring to the needs of the disadvantaged, promoting a positive approach to a harmonious working environment. You should act as an exemplar on these issues and should identify and monitor training for yourself and any employees for whom you are responsible, in line with this policy and the Equality Act 2010.
Such other duties as may be appropriate to achieve the objectives of the post to assist the Thematic Area in the fulfilment of its objectives commensurate with the post holder's salary grade, abilities and aptitudes.
The post holder must at all times carry out his/her responsibilities with due regard to the Council's policy, organisation and arrangements for Health and Safety at Work.
- Experience of working with Infant/Primary children
- Knowledge and understanding of Equal Opportunities
- Knowledge of Health and Safety issues
- Knowledge and understanding of the Children Act
- Ability to motivate individuals to perform effectively
- Commitment to working in partnership with parents
- Awareness of and respect for, the needs of the individual child and their families, including multi-cultural and inclusive practices
- Able to communicate effectively (orally and in writing)
- Ability to use IT technology
- An understanding of child development and appropriate levels of childcare
- To work as part of the team but to show a degree of independence and motivation to complete tasks
- Being well organised, creative and have a friendly disposition
- Have a good attendance record
A good attendance record - Candidates should have less than 4 absences in the last 6 months or not more than 10 days absence over the last 12 months prior to the closing date of the post.
Any absences relating to a disability or any other incapacity will be viewed sympathetically and will be considered if fully explained. Due regard will be made to the need to make reasonable adjustments in line with the requirements of the Equality Act 2010. (This information will be obtained from the successful candidate after a conditional offer of employment has been made).
- GCSE maths and English Grade C or above (or 9-4 or equivalent functional skills Level 2)
- NVQ Childcare (Early Years) Level 2 Qualification or similar
- Desired - Art and Design, Drama, Music, Design and Technology
The possibility of a full time post upon completing the apprenticeship, with future prospects of personal growth within the organisation.
Things to consider
Enhanced DBS Check for Regulated Activity.
This role is term time only + inset days.
Willingness to work flexibly to meet the requirements of the post.
For more information on the ANMW, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
For more information or to apply, please click the link.