Apprentice - Childcare
39 hours per week.
We are seeking to recruit an apprentice for this very successful nursery. The Apprenticeship provides unqualified staff, with the opportunity to gain a nationally recognised qualification. Apprentices can work towards Level 2 Certificate and/or Level 3 Diploma for the Children’s and Young people’s workforce, subject to previous experience.
The time it takes to achieve qualification can vary but usually we would expect that Level 3 would be achieved within 18 months. The period of employment will normally end once an apprentice has achieved their qualification. Full training will be provided. Level 2 and/or Level 3 training and assessment will be provided by The Centre for Early Years Training. Induction training and ‘on-the-job training’ will be provided by the Nursery Team Manager as well as other nursery/college staff (for example the Deputy Nursery Team Manager/room leaders).
Duties and Responsibilities:
After an appropriate period of induction training and whilst undertaking a programme of assessment, the main responsibilities of the posts will include:
- General childcare duties including: changing nappies, cleaning faces, going outside in all weathers, preparing snacks, serving meals and playing with the children.
- Ensuring the health, safety and welfare of the children is paramount this will include daily risk assessments of toys, equipment and areas where children play.
- General cleaning and tidying of the nursery during the day to ensure it is a healthy and stimulating learning environment.
- Being involved with the planning, development and implementation of the nursery curriculum, care and activities.
- Reading, understanding and following all nursery policies and procedures.
- Assisting with ensuring the nursery is in a state of readiness for OFSTED inspection.
- Maintaining appropriate records for children, after an initial induction and probation period you will be given a small group of key children and you will be required to observe them and plan activities for them based on your observations, you will be given full training on how to do this.
- Supporting the nursery team manager in the ongoing development and improvement of the nursery.
- Informing the Manager/Deputy Team Manager/ Room Leader of issues within the room or nursery.
- Dealing with parents on a daily basis this will include talking to them about their child’s day, including what they have eaten, who they have played with and any developments they have made. Training in this will be provided.
- Working effectively with the Nursery team to contribute to the team plan and culture of excellence and to ensure that the College offers an outstanding service to students, staff and other stakeholders.
- Participating fully in appropriate professional development, this will include regular training evenings for Childcare diploma/certificate qualification, attendance on first aid, food hygiene and Child protection courses. Also other training to help your development as a childcare practitioner.
- Attending team meetings and briefings and participating fully in discussions about work. These meetings are normally after work.
- Increasing responsibilities within the nursery as you gain more skills and confidence.
- Learning and deploying a range of new skills to become an excellent team member and a skilled, reliable individual.
- Completing all written work and assignments on time meeting deadlines set by your assessor.
- Ensuring you arrive at the nursery before your shift is due to begin ready and prepared for the day.
- Any other duties reasonably delegated by the Principal.
NB: This is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities of this post. The post holder may be required to carry out other duties and responsibilities in keeping with the nature of the post.
The college is committed to equality of opportunity and to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please apply via the link.