- Full Time
Employer: Rotton Park Medical Centre
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Possible start date: 26th November 2018
Working week: Various working pattern. Total hours per week: 37
We are looking for an apprentice to work in our GP practice alongside the existing receptionists. They will gain essential experience of how to deal with the public in person and via the telephone and they will be taught important skills applicable to any office environment.
Duties will include opening post, scanning letters into the computer, attaching them to patient records and coding relevant data onto patient notes, filing letters, answering the telephone, making appointments, sending referrals via fax and e-mail, replenish stock in consultation rooms and at reception, preparing repeat prescriptions and taking and sending messages from and to patients and helping patients use services such as self-service kiosks.
The post requires good IT skills, the ability to work as part of a team and excellent communication skills.
- Answering the telephone
- Making and cancelling of appointments on the clinical system, Emis Web
- Dealing with patients at the reception desk
- Issuing of repeat prescription on the system
- Handing out repeat scripts to patient
- Dealing with Pharmacies for prescription queries
- Receiving and dealing with requests for home visits
- Dealing with and completing tasks
- Taking of messages accurately
- Register new patients on to the system
- Filing into patient notes
- Faxing referrals
- Scanning documents and filing in to patients records electronically
- Read coding/summarising of medical records
- Sending letters to patients
- Opening and date stamping of post
- Opening and closing of the surgery
- Read and comply to practice procedures and policies
- To work in accordance of written protocols
- Attend practice meetings
- Do mandatory training such as CPR, children and adult safeguarding training
- Help patients use services such as self-service kiosks
- Signposting patients to services
This job summary maybe varied to include new duties.
This is not exhaustive or excusive and you may be asked to carry out other duties not included in the list but deemed to be within you grade and competence by the Practice Manager/Senior partner.
To present a calm and friendly image to patients. To keep medical records in good order, filing up to date, record messages accurately and efficiently, and assist other members of staff and patients.
The post will require the post holder to assist the staff in providing a full range of NHS medical services to patients registered with the Practice by being able to deal with phone and desk queries, make appointments and do administrative duties such as sending referrals, scanning documents and filing and assist patients in using the self-service kiosk.
Requirements and prospects
- Good IT skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- A keen willingness to learn
- Able to take constrictive criticism and use your own initiative to enhance your learning opportunities
The post holder will need to be able take instruction from more senior members of the team to help them learn and will need to be able to follow Practice policies and procedures to prevent harm from coming to patients.
When dealing with the public and with people who are unwell, a good attitude is essential and seeing things for other people’s points of view.
Minimum GCSE (or equivalent) grade C or above in English and maths is required.
At the end of the training we would look to keep on the apprentice depending on the progress/abilities of the apprentice and the needs of the Practice.
Things to consider:
This is a demanded and varied job role where the post holder will be given the opportunity to learn a great deal of transferable skills which will prepare them for a career in not only in health care/ NHS but also other sectors. We are looking for someone who wants to learn and be part of the team and we will fully support them in learning and gaining skills that will make them a valuable member of the work force.
For more information or to apply, please click the link.