Maths Tutor (0.5 FTE)
The University of Sheffield International College and its programmes are provided by Study Group in collaboration with the University of Sheffield. We are currently seeking an Academic Tutor (Mathematics).
- Provide academic coordination for designated module(s) in the role of Module Coordinator.
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff contributing to the effective overall management of the programme and student life cycle.
Student learning experience
- Contribute to the design, delivery and development of modules offered by the college.
- Contribute to the delivery and assessment of provision, with a normal teaching commitment of 18.75 hours per week. However, there may be a reduction in teaching for curriculum responsibility, as well as academic coordination.
- Prepare module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students.
- Develop and update course material for related modules, including module material on the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
- Providing academic guidance and support to a designated group of students through the tutorial system.
- Work with the college’s Student & Academic Services team in the delivery of induction, orientation and registration programmes.
Quality and standards assurance and enhancement
- Implement quality assurance procedures at module level and contribute to the annual monitoring and review of the courses.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date records of student attendance and performance.
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the Head of Subject.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and be performance driven. In addition, you will have:
Qualifications & Training:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or a related discipline is essential.
- A teaching qualification such as PGCE, PGHE or equivalent is desirable.
- A Master’s or PhD degree in Mathematics or a related discipline. A Master’s qualification is required to teach on the pre-masters programmes. This is desirable.
- Demonstrable experience of outstanding teaching of Pure and Applied Mathematics within a UK higher, further education or school context at a minimum of level 3
- Examination marking experience at a minimum of level 3
- Experience of providing effective written student feedback
- Experience of working with international students
- Demonstrable experience of providing targeted support for weaker students
- Ability to teach Statistics at foundation or pre-masters level; ability to teach Pure Mathematics or Computational Mathematics or Programming at pre-masters level
- Familiarity with advanced computing software (e.g. MATLAB)
- Test writing experience at a minimum of level 3
- A level marking experience
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment.
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.).
- Ability to use LaTeX editors or willingness to learn.
- A student-centered and client-focused approach.
- A commitment to continuous professional development.
- Strong record-keeping skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines.
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player.
The Application Process
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants.
Please apply via the link.
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same dedication. Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
Study Group processes your information in line with data protection regulations.
Please apply via the link.