Animal Unit Manager
We are seeking to appoint a self-motivated individual to the role of Animal Unit Manager. We are looking for an experienced candidate, who has excellent communication skills and has a proven ability to manage an Animal Care Unit.
You will have extensive working knowledge of the care, management and welfare of a broad range of animal species. The role will require you to ensure the first class care and welfare of the animals. You will be expected to maintain and develop the animal unit in line with health and safety regulations and animal welfare legislation. Additionally, the successful candidate will lead practical activities and act as a workplace supervisor, coordinating the activities of students who undertake practical activities in the animal unit or volunteer to care for the animals during weekend, Bank Holidays and non-core periods to gain work experience. You will also enhance the assessment and evidence gathering opportunities for those students attending the animal unit.
The successful candidate must:
- Be available to work evenings and weekends
- Hold a minimum Level 4 qualification within an animal care/management discipline
- Have awareness of Health & Safety relevant to training and education in the land based sector
- Have the ability to lead practical activities
- Hold an Assessor Award or willingness to work toward
- Hold a Management qualification (desirable)
- Have experience of working in a similar role within the animal industry or in a training environment. Previous experience of working on an animal unit within a further and/or higher education institution is desirable.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have the ability to maintain effective record systems and have a good standard of IT literacy, able to use relevant software packages including Microsoft Outlook, Word & Excel.
The benefits package includes generous annual leave, membership of final salary or career average pension scheme, professional development and training, free on-site car parking, and other voluntary benefit schemes, including cycle to work scheme.
SK Group is committed to Equality and Diversity and to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff, students and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UK Visas & Immigration to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore, we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK.
Please note we do not accept CV’s from recruitment agencies. Any speculative CVs sent to the College will NOT be considered.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications. Should you wish to apply for this post you are advised to submit your application as soon as possible.