Maths and Stats Tutor
10 hours per week.
An excellent opportunity has come up for a Mathematics and Statistics tutor to join the Study Group team at the University of Strathclyde International Study Centre. The right candidate should be an energetic, committed, and passionate tutor, with exceptional communication skills and a true passion for providing transformational learning experiences.
Study Group is a global leader in providing a transformational learning experience for international students and helping them on their way to academic success and rewarding careers. Above all, providing a fantastic learning experience to our students is at the heart of what we do, so if you are passionate, dedicated, and interested in embarking in a truly fulfilling position, then you’ve come to the right place.
- Delivering Mathematics/Statistics modules (through teaching) to international students studying on programmes offered by the Centre and assisting with the development of modules
- Work with permanent staff and subject leader for Mathematics and Statistics to aid in the preparation of module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking, moderating and providing feedback to students, including re-sit examinations
- Delivering high quality teaching and facilitation of high quality learning through production of schemes of work and lesson plans lessons in keeping with module learning outcomes, and by guiding and supporting learners
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of the Centre’s virtual learning environment (VLE); facilitating student access to same
- Keeping up-to-date with eLearning tools available for your subject
- Developing your teaching practice through participation in CPD events/ courses and by reflecting critically on your teaching practice and materials
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- Providing, when/if required, academic learning support and or pastoral care to a group of students
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff.
Qualifications and Training
You will have experience of, or a commitment to, working with international students and have:
- A recognised teacher status qualification and/or
- A Master’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics or a related subject area
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Teaching experience in Mathematics and Statistics within an either FE or UK higher education context; preferably experience of working with international students’
Knowledge and Skills
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- Knowledge of numerical software e.g. MATLAB, SPSS
- Competent in using VLE/ eLearning resources
- A student-centered approach
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines
- Strong sense of teamwork
Study Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students, and expects all staff and volunteers to share the same commitment.
Applicants will be required to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including checks with past employers, an Enhanced Check from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and overseas criminal records if appropriate.
We take pride in providing an excellent candidate experience to all potential candidates, so will ensure a timely response and process for all applicants. If you are interested in finding out more then please send a CV and a member of the Recruitment Team will be in contact.