Academic Skills Tutor (Variable Hours/Casual)
The University of Sheffield International College and its programmes are provided by Study Group in collaboration with the University of Sheffield. We are currently seeking sessional Academic Skills Tutors to deliver a range of critical reading and academic writing modules and 1-2-1 tutorials to students.
* The post ordinarily includes up to 12 teaching hours.
** This offer is initially for September-December teaching term.
- To deliver high quality teaching of Academic Skills related modules to groups of international students at both Foundation and Pre-Masters’ levels
- To undertake marking and feedback provision on formative and summative basis, whilst complying with Quality Standards and Processes
- To support development of students’ independent learning
- To provide module feedback to a relevant module coordinator
- To maintain an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- To participate in regular meetings with teaching and support staff
- To monitor and offer ongoing academic support to designated groups of students
The position holder must comply with Study Group policies and applicable laws including those in relation, but not limited to: Occupational Health and Safety; Anti-Discrimination and Harassment, Anti-Bribery and Corruption and those specifically relevant to the position and authority of the job holder.
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students and be performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- A teaching qualification such as CELTA or PGCE. Additionally it would be desirable to have the UCLES DELTA or equivalent
- A proven ability to teach a range of Academic Skills
- Adequate teaching experience, preferably in UK higher or further education context, or other EAP experience
- Experience of working with international students
- Experience, and a positive track record, of working with staff teams, evaluating performance and identifying development needs
- A student-centred approach
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment (e.g. Blackboard)
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
A full background (DBS) check will be required.
If interested, please send a CV to USIChr@studygroup.com via the Apply link.
Closing date for applications: 30th July 5pm
If you are selected for interview you will be invited to attend our Recruitment Day which will involve an interview and task.
In case of any enquires please contact Stephen Dow: SDow@studygroup.com
Apply for Academic Skills Tutor (Variable Hours/Casual)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly