Apprentice Swimming Teacher (L2)
Employer: Kingswood Leisure Centre
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Possible start date: 20th August 2018
Working week: 37 hours per week
Circadian Trust are looking to recruit one Swimming Teacher Apprentice to be based at Kingswood Leisure Centre. If you love Swimming or have an interest in Sport or Teaching, this apprenticeship could help you build a career out of your passion.
They are looking for enthusiastic, positive, motivated and committed individuals. Swimming teachers need to be organised, creative, fun and enjoy working with children and adults of all ages.
The 12 month Coaching Learn to Swim Apprenticeship Framework will give you the skills and knowledge to not only work as a fully qualified Swim Teacher with Circadian Trust, but also an all-round understanding of their Swim School Programme and other aspects of leisure which may include lifeguarding and operations.
The programme is designed for those individuals wishing to pursue a career in the leisure industry through a teaching route. The swimming programme gives you a wide range of knowledge and experience, and most importantly the qualifications to help you develop a career within the leisure industry. At the end of this apprenticeship you will be a fully qualified swimming teacher, with the ability to teach lessons to groups of swimmers from beginners to experienced, children to adults.
Swimming teachers help people of all ages and abilities to develop swimming skills and techniques, or exercise in water. If you are a good swimmer, and you could motivate and inspire others to develop their skills, this Apprenticeship could suit you well. You would need to be able to encourage people and put them at their ease. You would also need to have perseverance and patience with slower learners.
You may be required to work at other nearby sites, including Thornbury Leisure Centre
Yor hourly wage will increase throughout the duration of the programme:
- 1-3 months or (completion of L1 course) £6.73 per hour
- 3-6 months £6.52 per hour
- 6-9 months £7.83 per hour
- 9-12 months £7.98 per hours or (completion of L2 course)
- After 12 months when employed at L2 Swim Teacher £13 per hour
- Teach or coach one-to-one or in groups.
- Plan and deliver sessions appropriate to the level of swimmer.
- Provide explanations and demonstrate swimming techniques.
- Correct faults in swimming techniques and identify ways to improve performance.
- Make sure safety standards are followed.
- Organise and supervise assistants and helpers.
- Assisting Swim Manager with basic admin tasks
- Water walker – engaging with public during specific sessions
- Basic coaching experience is desirable but not essential, we do not expect you to be an expert but some experience will stand you in good stead, particularly experience working with children and young adults
- Have good communication skills - the will help you to deal with customers and colleagues alike
- Candidates must have the ability to meet the National Pool Lifeguard course pre requisites: Jump / dive into deep water, Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds, Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water, Tread water for 30 seconds, Surface dive to the floor of the pool and Climb out unaided without ladder / steps and where the pool design permits.
- Enthusiastic and passionate - you will love sport and be interested in the business of sport and swimming.
- Friendly - you will be helping lots of customers from all backgrounds, ages and abilities
- The ability to encourage people and put them at ease.
- No formal qualifcations required
Apprentices receive on the job training, working alongside professionals to gain relevant experience within the leisure industry. You will also have the opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications and earn a weekly wage.
You will be assigned a tutor who will visit you whilst at work, and who will guide and support you through your apprenticeship. They will work closely with you and your manager to ensure you have all the necessary aids you require to complete your apprenticeship.
Qualifications gained during this apprenticeship include:
- ASA Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Learn to Swim
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
- ASA Level 2 Swimming Teacher
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (If required)
You will also have the opportunity to achieve a National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) and First Aid Qualification.
Apprenticeship framework: Coaching