Caretaker Site Support/Estates Maintenance Assistant Apprentice (L2)
Employer: King Charles School
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Possible start date: 3rd September 2018
Working week: Monday to Friday, three shifts operating between 5.30am - 6.00pm, 37 hours per week (not term time only)
Working as part of the existing Site Maintenance team, this is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking develop a career in maintenance and estates to gain experience in a school caretaker role. Working across the school site, through completion of the on-site Facilities Services apprenticeship and through in company mentoring you will gain the skills and knowledge needed to ensure that a high level of security is maintained in school in order to protect its buildings and resources and maintain a clean, attractive, secure and welcoming site through a process of regular cleaning and routine and scheduled maintenance of buildings, grounds, fixtures and fittings.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to develop a career in estates maintenance to join the existing site team at King Charles I. Working across both sites, the role is a varied one.
- Undertake routine maintenance including decorating, plumbing, carpentry, electrical work, painting and general building work in accordance with instructions and current safety legislation Checking stock and restocking domestics/hygiene supplies and dealing with routine and non-routine waste.
- Porterage of resources (furniture, computers etc) across school sites
- Operate and monitor heating, plumbing and electrical systems in accordance with instructions and current safety legislation and ensure that the most cost effective use is made of such systems.
- Ensure that the premises are opened prior to the start of the school day and secured at the end of it.
- Ensuring the security of the site (admitting and accompanying contractors, locking buildings and gates, end of day security checks etc)
- Setting up rooms for events such as exams, shows and open events
- Oversee schedules and routine maintenance liaising with contractors and suppliers as necessary.
- Taking deliveries and distributing to relevant areas
- Undertake regular health and safety checks of buildings, grounds, fixtures and fittings including firefighting apparatus and other safety equipment in accordance with schedules and make recommendations to the site manager.
- Assisting the site manager with management and maintenance of the swimming pool, up keep of plant and buildings, maintaining stock levels of chemicals and ensuring safe storage of chemicals.
- Good ICT skills are key.
- Clear communication skills are essential to ensure works are carried out correctly and in a timely manner.
- The ability to work as part of a team is essential.
- A mature outlook but also a good sense of humour is important.
- Strong communication skills with staff, contractors and pupils alike.
- This is a varied job including time working inside and outside so adaptability and a willingness to learn is essential.
- General standard of Maths and English (GCSE Grade D or above, or equivalent at Functional Skills).
- Good ICT skills.
Facilities Services apprenticeship framework
Full training will be provided on an ongoing daily basis and when required. You will be working towards a NVQ qualification. An assessor will be allocated to you to progress/help you through you course. Continual assessment for NVQ’s coupled with assignments/or exams depending on course of study. Time spent training will be part of the agreed contracted hours of the working week.
Apprenticeship framework: Cleaning and Environmental Support Services