Apprentice Swimming Teacher (L2)
Employer: Montem Leisure Centre
Apprenticeship level: Intermediate
Apprenticeship duration: 12 months
Possible start date: 22nd January 2018
Working week: 30 hours per week, may include evenings and weekends
The 12 month Coaching - Learn to Swim Apprenticeship Framework is designed for those individuals wishing to pursue a career in the leisure industry through a teaching route; it is entirely work based and work related. The swimming programme gives you a wide range of knowledge and experience, and most importantly the qualifications to help you develop a career within the leisure industry. At the end of this apprenticeship you will be a fully qualified swimming teacher, with the ability to teach lessons to groups of swimmers from beginners to experienced, children to adults.
Swimming teachers help people of all ages and abilities to develop swimming skills and techniques, or exercise in water. If you are a good swimmer, and you could motivate and inspire others to develop their skills, this Apprenticeship could suit you well. You would need to be able to encourage people and put them at their ease. You would also need to have perseverance and patience with slower learners.
As a qualified swimming teacher you would:
- Teach or coach one-to-one or in groups.
- Plan and deliver sessions appropriate to the level of swimmer.
- Provide explanations and demonstrate swimming techniques.
- Correct faults in swimming techniques and identify ways to improve performance.
- Make sure safety standards are followed.
- Organise and supervise assistants and helpers.
- An interest and ability in swimming.
- The ability to inspire confidence and motivate swimmers.
- The ability to encourage people and put them at ease.
- Perseverance and patience.
- Good spoken communication skills.
- Good organisational skills.
- Have a keen interest and desire to teach swimming.
- No formal qualifications required.
Apprentices receive on the job training, working alongside professionals to gain relevant experience within the leisure industry. You will also have the opportunity to achieve nationally recognised qualifications and earn a weekly wage.
You will be assigned a tutor who will visit you whilst at work, and who will guide and support you through your apprenticeship. They will work closely with you and your manager to ensure you have all the necessary aids you require to complete your apprenticeship.
Qualifications gained during this apprenticeship include:
- ASA Level 2 Diploma in Coaching Learn to Swim.
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning.
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching).
- ASA Level 2 Swimming Teacher.
- Functional Skills in English and Maths (If required).
Apprenticeship framework: Coaching