Trainee Herds Person / Head Herds Person
*Plus on-site accommodation at “AWB” rates. Eligibility to join the local government pension scheme.
This role would suit either ex-college or university leaver with a passion for dairy who is keen to launch their career, or an existing herds person stepping-up to herd management. In either case, an affinity for working with young people in helping to inspire them to recognise and achieve their potential in securing future positions in the agriculture -industry is essential.
Training will be provided (as required) to enable the person to fully manage the college herd. The herd is currently c100 cow pedigree Holstein herd av. 10,000 lts /annum. The college currently runs a successful cattle showing team.
Background to the Role:
The college dairy is an integral part of the training of students on Further Education and some Higher Education Courses providing valuable hands-on experience with milking, which the post holder will be involved in supervising. The farm team comprises of five people with the Dairy Herd Manager supported by an assistant Herdsperson with considerable experience and longevity of service. Other members of the Farm Team, provide support in terms of relief milking.
The College Farm Manager is working actively with his team to explore ways of reducing the potential impact of possible changes to farm subsidies post Brexit. The intention is to look at the breeding of the dairy cows to maximise the benefits of the College contract and to maximise the use of grass within an intensive system. The successful applicant will be fully involved in all decision making. Capital has been set aside for improvements to infra structure to achieve these aims.
An interesting dimension to the post, is the periodic involvement of The University of Surrey Veterinary Medicine students and staff in visits to the College Dairy as part of their practical studies in animal handling and in health and housing studies. The current Head Herdsperson has been very keen to be involved in those interactions and if the successful post holder would be interested to continue in that, this would be very welcome.
Closing Date: 21 May 2018
- Eligibility to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (a defined benefit pension scheme)
- Death Benefit grant of 3 x salary if in the pension scheme
- Free on-site parking
- Car Share Scheme
- Occupational Sick Pay Scheme
- Occupational Maternity Pay Scheme
- Flexible Working Policy
- On-site gym at the Sparsholt campus (membership £100 per annum)
- You Make the Difference Staff nomination scheme
- Facility to purchase Sparsholt produce including: plants, flowers, fruit & vegetables, fish, venison and turkey.
- Discounted admission to Marwell Zoo
- Ability to access a range of CPD events and support with undertaking professional qualifications
- Various food outlets and eateries offering good value food and drink at competitive prices
There is a nursery on the Sparsholt campus operated by a commercial provider